Chapter 4~ Lucky Dumplings

So, there I was, walking down a very crowded street, holding onto Ryan's arm for dear life and my other hand holding the hotel cappuccino, hoping it doesn't fall.

Kayla and Josh trailed behind us. I didn't bother looking behind because I knew they had been swallowed by the sea of people, and they would just meet us there. The Beijing Botanical Gardens were holding a Night Noodle Market event in celebration for Chinese New Year. Once we entered the fresh greenery in the gardens, there were stalls all scattered with people smiling, sharing food or watching the entertainment. The lights lit up the bushes and brought the gardens to life. The smell of freshly cooked noodles hit my nostrils and I found myself wanting to crunch my hunger with the food.

Ryan pulled his cheap travel phone and dialled Josh. He said to meet them near the Wofo Temple so we could begin the night. Ryan and I walked hand in hand admiring the beautiful night, the aroma of fresh Chinese food and the chatter amongst a crowd of tourists and locals.

The warmth that powered through his hand comforted my entire body and mind.

We stood near the temple, and after five minutes I hear, "Hey girl hey" and a pair of arms hug me. I turn around to face my curly headed best friend. Sister.

I laugh and return the hug. "So, where to first?" I ask.

"I'm starving, noodles please?" Ryan begs.

We all agreed and walked to the food stalls. Once we ordered some dumplings and noodles, I went to fish out some money for the food only to have Ryan stop me and hand the gentlemen 30 Yuans. I gave him a wide smile and wrapped my arms around his torso. "Thank you" I whisper. He returns with a grin and his arms thread around my waist.

We walked together enjoying Chinese food that didn't taste this good outside of China and watch as Chinese Dragons dance and entertain the festival. One came up close and personal with Ryan and I.

"Touch it," Ryan whispers, "it's good luck".

I smile at him and then the dragon. I reach out to lightly brisk my hand on it. I laugh and return my arms to Ryan's torso, not before stealing a dumpling from him and kissing his cheek. 

We spent a couple of hours just admiring the atmosphere and enjoying ourselves. We sat on the grass finishing off some cheap fried rice I had bought earlier on, and Josh and Kayla cracked fortune cookies and just enjoyed each other's company. It was such a beautiful sight.

That was until Ryan received a call. "One moment muffin, won't be long" he says and lifts himself off the ground to take the call elsewhere. I watch as he answers the unknown caller, reading his lips as he begins with a simple "hello". Once he hears a response, I see Ryan turn completely pale.

My heard dropped at the sight. Who could possibly get Ryan's dodgy travel number, and what on mother's earth are they saying to him? I was itching to know. But I just took deep breaths and continued eating my fried rice. 

"Why don't you break one Alexis?" Kayla snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Uh, yeah sure. Why not?" I smile as I take the cookie from her.

"That's the spirit!".

I crack it open, not really in the mood to be reading messages from a damn cookie, when Ryan seems to be in trouble. I take a deep breath and pull the thin piece of paper out.

"Well, what does it say?" Josh questioned. 

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love" . I read out, raising an eyebrow at the piece of paper which won't give me the time I just wasted on reading that. I shoved it in my pocket and return to my rice.

"I wonder what that means" Kayla wondered.

"Whatever it is, it's bullshit. I don't believe in that kind of stuff anyway" I say dusting it off, and then found myself yawning, not realising how tired I was. 

"Just because you don't believe in all that stuff, doesn't mean it isn't beautiful. Anyway, we all seem tired. Should we head back to the hotel? It's India tomorrow night" Kayla says with a big grin. 

We all nod in response, and just on time Ryan returns from his phone call. I've noticed that he's oddly brushed off what just happened. And I intend on finding out. He has me worried. 

We leave the Gardens as well as many others, and make way for the hotel. I had one thing buzzing around my brain the entire way to the hotel...

Maybe the way to the life I love, is one big, rocky road.

~~~~

Hey friends! It's short, BUT is very juicy. I just didn't want to leave you guys without an update since I'm currently stressing every brain cell I own. Lol

Love y'all

Vote/Comment/Share

-G