Chapter 10~ When in Rome

Italy's warm sunshine and friendly people put a smile on our faces during the most stressful time. Twenty minutes after Ryan called Anita's friends, we see a red sedan pull up in the airport car-park. A gentleman and a lady hop out from the front seats with wide smiles.

"Sei Ryan e Alexis?" [Are you Ryan and Alexis?] asks the gentlemen.

"Sì, sei Diego e Valeria? Amici della mia zia?" [Yes, are you Diego and Valeria? Friends of my aunt?] asks Ryan politely.

"Sì, questa è mia moglie Valeria. Lascia che ti aiuti con i bagagli" [Yes, this is my wife Valeria. Let me help you with the luggage] he replies kindly.

After saying 'hello', 'thank you', and 'nice to meet you', Diego and Valeria drove us to their home. They asked about our travels, and of course how Anita was doing. After a 25-minute drive, we park in front of a beautiful brick home which is stacked under homes above it.

Diego and Valeria lead us into their home. We're welcomed into their small yet tastefully decorated home. Suddenly, we hear footsteps run down the staircase. I turn around to see two little girls of the same height, same hair colour, and the exact same face. TWINS.

"Questa è Christina e Ciara" [This is Christina and Ciara] Valeria introduces us to their daughters. They wave hello and give us beaming smiles.

After introducing ourselves, a young girl walks downstairs and Valeria introduces her as Gianna, their neighbour. She says a quick hello to us, and Valeria thanks her for minding her daughters whilst they were gone. Gianna quickly waves goodbye to everyone and leaves.

Diego and Valeria leave us to settle in while they make dinner. Ryan and I offer quickly put our luggage in the room and head to the kitchen to help, remembering our guest manners.

We have small talk with Diego and Valeria. They ask about what we're studying, about our families and our plans for Italy.

"Ryan e io stavamo pensando di andare alle attrazioni turistiche. Sai dove dovremmo andare?" [Ryan and I were thinking of going to tourist attractions. Do you know where we should go?], I ask in a flat-out lie, knowing well that our mission tomorrow was to hunt down Kayla and Josh.

As we sit down to eat, Diego and Valeria recommend their favourite places in Rome. They speak about Rome with pride, telling us it's the most beautiful and romantic place a couple could visit.

Ryan and I politely thanked them for their advice and their help with everything today.

"Ogni famiglia di Anita è la nostra famiglia" [Any family of Anita is family of us] says Diego. God dam, I love Italians.

Later that night, Diego, Valeria, and their daughters were all asleep. Ryan settles into bed after cleaning up, so I decide to use the late hours of the evening to shower. I undress and step under the hot and soothing water. I clean the day's events off my tired body and just stand under the comforting water. It relaxes every muscle in my body and the vanilla body wash leaves the most calming scent.

As I dry and change, I'm rummaging through my duffle bag which carries toiletries and underwear. I cock an eyebrow at the sight of the black lace set I packed...just in case of any...events.

Not today, Alexis. There are literally children next door.

I sigh and shake my head at the thought, and proceed to slip on regular underwear and PJs. After finishing my skincare and brushing my hair, I finally feel human again. I leave the bathroom to find Ryan lying down in the bed with his back propped up against the frame. He looks up from his phone and smiles at the sight of me.

"Come 'ere muffin," he says patting beside him. I hop in under the covers and just bury myself in his arms. I didn't realise how exhausted I was until my eyes began to flutter shut, not even five minutes after getting into bed.

But when did the world ever go my way? Because just as I was about to completely fall asleep, a text message notification brings me back to consciousness. I hear Ryan's heartbeat quicken a little, and as I look up to the phone, I see why his heartbeat accelerated. Because mine does the exact same when I see a message from an unknown number.

It read:

Glad one couple gets to enjoy Rome. Shame Kayla & Josh couldn't prance around. The least you could do is wish them good fortune. See you soon.

"For fucks sake", Ryan sighs out, "as if this is really happening right now".

"Let me see that" I reach out for the phone and stare at the message again. And again. Waiting for some sort of answer.

...The least you could do is wish them good fortune...

"Holy shit," I say aloud.

"What is it?" Ryan asks, suddenly alarmed by my light bulb moment.

Well, when in Rome..."the fountain, they're talking about the god damn Trevi Fountain".

~~~~

Hi! I've resumed the book! Sorry for leaving it on hold for so long, I didn't want to rush it and create something my heart wasn't into at the time. But thank you for your patience, I'm so blessed!

As always,

Vote/Comment/Share

-G