Fool of a Took

It was night out and Alaina couldn't sleep. She swung her feet over the bed and looked around, seeing that Aragorn and Legolas both weren't in their beds. She carefully put her bare feet on the cold stone floor and grabbed her cloak, putting one arm through and then the other, bringing her hood up. She tiptoed around Merry and Pippin who slept on the floor and finally got to the main room of the keep. 

Seeing that Legolas and her brother weren't there, Alaina walked back to her bed and grabbed her boots, shoving them on lazily before walking back out. This time she left the keep and looked around, seeing Legolas and Aragorn standing on the edge of the stairs of the Golden Hall. 

Alaina walked over, oblivious to the chilld wind. She soon stood next to them, they didn't react, as though they had expected her out there with them both. They looked out across the sleeping city to the looming mountain range beyond, dark clouds marked the sky.

"The stars are veiled, something stirs in the east... A sleepless malice," Legolas spoke, his head turning to Alaina and Aragorn as though he had realized something, "The eye of the enemy is moving."

Alaina sighed, looking towards Legolas. Their eyes lingered for a moment as Aragorn looked back at the mountains. But soon Alaina was the first to look away, staring off into the distance. "How will we know where the enemy is attacking first?" Alaina asked, "My guess is Gondor but how will we know for sure?"

Aragorn shrugged slightly, his face was serious, "We won't. But Gondor is the closest, Minas Tirith to be exact."

Alaina smiled, thinking about the white city. It went silent and Alaina continued to smile to herself, "You know, I have only been to Minas Tirith once..." her head turned towards her brother, "You went without me the last time."

Aragorn smiled thinking about the memory, "You seemed to caught up with Haldir to leave Lorien, I had decided I would come back for you on my way back to Rivendell."

Alaina chuckled slightly, "I still can't believe you did that," she shook her head at him disapprovingly.

Aragorn nodded, "I was young."

"You were forty-three, Aragorn, I would hardly say that's young," Alaina said, facing back towards the mountain.

Then it went silent again and suddenly Legolas turned, "He is here."

Aragorn, Alaina and Legolas all ran back into the keep and looked around, Alaina widened her eyes when they heard Pippin and Merry screaming. Her body instantly dragged her towards their room, running as fast as she could, Aragorn and Legolas quickly behind her.

"Someone help him!" Merry yelled as they ran into the room.

Alaina suddenly registered what was in front of her, Pippin was holding the black ball he had picked up in the water after Saruman died. The Palantir, Gandalf called it. It was glowing orange in Pippin's hands as he looked as though he was having a seizure, rolling around on the ground. Aragorn was quick to grab it from the poor hobbit but he yelled out in pain and dropped to his knees as well.

Alaina instantly thought of something, reaching for a water pitcher on the small table and then slapping it out of Aragorn's hand, letting it roll on the ground before tossing the water on it. It instantly stopped glowing just before Gandalf threw a blanket over it and turned to the hobbit, "Fool of a Took!"

The old man then realized that Pippin was frozen from shock, laying on the ground like he had been stunned. Gandalf quite literally shoved Merry out of the way and grabbed Pippin's small hand, putting it between his own.

Alaina knelt down next to Aragorn who instantly looked like he had gone through two battles without sleep. She placed her hands on her brother's face, "Are you all right?" She whispered as Gandalf helped Pippin recover.

Aragorn only nodded and swallowed. Alaina let out a breath she didn't know she was holding as she grabbed Aragorn's hands and pulled them up with her as she stood. Aragorn stood with her, swaying slightly. 

Pippin instantly woke up, his breathing was scattered, "Gandalf, forgive me," he choked out.

Gandalf grabbed his head gently and leaned closer, "Look at me," Pippin did, "What did you see?"

Pippin looked around frantickly for a moment, "A tree," he paused, taking a deep breath, "There was a white tree.. in a courtyard of stone."

Alaina smiled, he was talking about the white tree in Minas Tirith. Her smile instantly vanished as the hobbit went on, "It was dead. The city was burning."

"Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?" Gandalf asked to get confirmation.

"I saw... I saw him. I could hear his voice in my head," Pippin said frightfully.

"And what did you tell him?" Gandalf asked fiercely. When Pippin didn't respond, Gandalf raised his voice, "Speak!"

"He asked me my name. I didn't answer," Pippin said as his face looked as though he was going to cry, "He hurt me."

"What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring?" Gandalf asked, his jaw clenched.

They had awoken the king early in the morning to talk about what had happened. There was a small fire in the middle of the Hall, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn and Théoden stood around it.

Alaina sat on a table, her feet on the bench with Pippin resting in between her legs. Merry sat next to her as she gently ran her hand through Pippin's hair in a comforting way. Gandalf spoke to the king directly, "There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool..." he turned towards the hobbit, "but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring."

Everyone in the room let out a small sigh of relief as Gandalf spoke. "We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the palantir a glimpse of the enemy's plan.." Gandalf paused, his eyes darting between Aragorn and Alaina, "Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith.

"His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing. He knows the heirs of Elendil have come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still, strength enough perhaps to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle-Earth uniting under one banner, he will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a king.." Gandalf looked to Alaina, "Or queen return to the throne of Men." 

Aragorn and Alaina exchanged glances as they both thought about Minas Tirith being burned to the ground. Alaina was snapped out of her thoughts when Gandalf finished speaking, "If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war."

Théoden stepped closer, looking directly into Gandalf's eyes, "Tell me... why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?"

Alaina turned to the king with a disgusted look on her face. "I will go," Aragorn volunteered.

"No!" Gandalf said, snapping his head towards Aragorn.

"They must be warned," Aragorn pleaded.

"They will be," Gandalf said, looking towards Alaina for a moment before turning back to Aragorn, "You must come to Minas Tirith by another road." He then stepped closer to Aragorn and spoke quieter, "Follow the river. Look to the black ships." The old man turned around, "Understand this: Things are now in motion that cannot be undone." 

Gandalf stopped back in this place, "I ride to Minas Tirith..." he then turned towards Pippin and Alaina, "And I won't be going alone."

Thought Gandalf was speaking to Pippin alone, Alaina spoke next, "I'll go with you."

"No... you must go with your brother," Gandalf said causing Alaina to roll her eyes.

Alaina stood up, moving around Pippin gently, "There is no reason for me not to go with you. I can help, I'll go by a different name if I have to."

Gandalf looked at her uneasily and Alaina noticed that behind him, Legolas looked as though he was going to protest but stopped himself. Gandalf took and deep breath and nodded, "All right then."