The Fourth Age

(I am going to start putting the dates here so that y'all know how much time passes between chapters)

September 22nd, Fourth Age (1)

After ruling Arnor for more than a year and the Fourth Age had begun, the age of men, Alaina and Legolas had settled in to their new home now. Though occasionally, Legolas would return to Mirkwood to visit his own people and his father, leaving Alaina in Tharbad. But he hadn't been back there in a few months due to the state that Alaina had been in for three months. 

And although it wasn't a great idea for Alaina to be travelling, they had to go to Rivendell to celebrate Bilbo Baggins' 131st birthday. It was a celebration to remember, even the elves were cheering and drinking. The last boat to the West was leaving in the next few days and so they were taking this time to have one last party. 

Arwen, Aragorn Legolas and Alain sat together, though Alaina was the only one in the room without a drink in her hand as Aragorn and Legolas cracked jokes. Arwen and Alaina laughed out loud, though their noise was outmatched by the loud noise of the room.

Aragorn and Arwen stood up to go and talk to Lord Elrond at the other end of the room when Legolas realized that Alaina didn't have a drink. He felt guilty all of the sudden, "I don't have to have a drink," he began to put it down.

Alaina smiled kindly at him but shook her head, "No.. don't worry about me."

Legolas put his drink down anyways, "You carry our child, whatever you must go through, I should also." He paused, "Well, at least as much as I can to my extent of physical ability."

Alaina laughed out loud as this and Legolas smiled at her happily, loving the fact that he made her laugh. Alaina leaned closer to Legolas, "It's worth it," she paused, "Don't you want to teach little Arathorn how to shoot a bow?" 

Legolas stopped in his movement, hearing Arathorn's name. He hadn't known that she finally decided what they would name their child. "Arathorn?" He asked, a small smile played at his lips.

Alaina nodded, her face was curious as she waited for her husband's reaction.

"And what if we have a daughter instead?" Legolas asked with a look that said 'I outsmarted you'.

Alaina leaned in slowly, her lips came a few centimeters away from his own, "Then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Legolas connected their lips in an instant, not wasting a single moment of their time together. They both pulled away with a large smile on their faces. "I love you," Alaina said.

Legolas smiled wider, "And I, you."

At the end of the night, Alaina eventually found herself sitting with Frodo in the corner of the room after noticing he sat alone. "They have no idea that I am leaving Middle Earth," Frodo said, looking at Sam, Merry and Pippin who danced around with their arms linked, singing their tavern songs.

Alaina turned her head towards the hobbit, just realizing that Frodo meant to go with the Elves to the West. "You can still change your mind," Alaina noticed his emotion didn't change, "But you must do whatever is best for you."

Frodo looked at her hopefully, the drink in his hand was still full. Alaina continued on, "You sacrificed your soul for the people on this earth.. if leaving is what you must do to regain it, then do so."

Frodo smiled at her, non-verbally thanking her for the motivation. "Thank you for the advice Alaina.."

Alaina smiled happily, "Any time, Frodo. You deserve the world." Frodo's smile became wider at this as she paused for a moment, looking at the small hobbit. "Though I will be quite sad to see you go. Sad that my children won't be able to hear the tales of your journey from yourself."

Frodo had a look of realization on his face and then turned around and grabbed something from behind him on the bench, grabbing a big old book and putting it on his lap. 

"There are still pages left in here, I hadn't decided who to give the rest of it to.." Frodo looked back at Alaina and handed her the book, "But you've helped me make my mind up."

Alaina furrowed her eyebrows in and took the book gratefully, opening it up to the first few pages.

There and Back Again...

A Hobbit's Tale by

Bilbo Baggins

&

The Lord of The Rings

By 

Frodo Baggins

Alaina showed a truly genuine smile as she wrapped her arms around Frodo, "Thank you Frodo," she paused and kiss him on the head gently, "I will be sure to finish this book with one more great adventure." Frodo smiled, knowing the book was in good hands.

September 29th, Fourth Age (1)

Arwen had said goodbye to her father inside, not bearing to see her people leave without her. Aragorn stayed with her. But Legolas, Alaina and the hobbits said goodbye on the docks. Alaina helped poor old Bilbo walked onto the docks, followed by the other hobbits, Legolas waited on the steps.

Bilbo bowed in head as they stood before the Elves, Elrond, Galadriel and Celeborn. Galadriel looked at Alaina as she speaks, "The power of the Three Rings is ended. The time has come for the Dominion of Men, and women.." She smiles kindly at the new Queen.

Alaina bowed her head with a small smile on her face. Elrond looked at Alaina sadly, "I Aear can ven na mar.

Alaina translated it in her head, 'The sea calls us home'. She took a deep breath at the words as Elrond held his arm out and Bilbo walked forward, a small hop in his step, "I think I'm quite ready for another adventure."

Elrond helped him onto the boat and Galadriel followed, giving Frodo a look that Alaina didn't miss. Gandalf knelt in front of the hobbits, looking up at Alaina, "Farewell, my brave Hobbits. My work is now finished. Here at last, on the shores of the sea, comes the end of our Fellowship." Merry sniffled loudly and Gandalf smiles once more, "I will not say 'do not weep' for not all tears are evil.."

Alaina couldn't help but let a few tears out as she looked at the old man who stood up above her now. She quickly wrapped her arms around him, catching him by surprise. "I am going to miss your wise words, Gandalf."

Gandalf and her pulled away and he held onto his staff with both hands once more, "I will be back when the world needs me again," is all he said to her before turning around. Though, he stopped and looked at Frodo, "It is time, Frodo." And then he began to walk onto the gangplank of the boat.

Alaina watched Sam become panicked as Frodo stepped in front of him, "What does he mean?" Sam asked, looking at Frodo with wide-eyes.

Frodo had a sad looked on his face and he spoke softly, sadly, "We set out to save the Shire, and it has been saved... but not for me."

Sam was shaken, "You don't mean that, you can't leave."

Frodo only looked at his friends and Sam had the realization that it was what Frodo wanted. Sam reached forward and hugged his best friend, tears began to cloud his eyes. Alaina watched carefully, wanting to save every detail in her memory for the rest of her days. Frodo and Sam hugged for quite a while before he turned and hugged Merry and Pippin, which were quicker but just as meaningful.

Frodo then looked up at Alaina who smiled down at him, trying to keep herself from crying as she bent down and pull her head towards her lips and kissing him on the forehead. Frodo gave her a hug and then turned, walking towards the ship and taking Gandalf's hand.

Alaina watched as he turned back, suddenly like he was himself before the ring again. As though he was relieved from all the pain he had. He smiled at the group before walking onto the ship, being guided by the old wizard who Alaina loved so dearly.