Bird Brain

Psalm 11:1-7

If you think you have problems, take a look at David's circumstances. No, he did not deserve what he was feeling. He had been anointed to be the next King of Israel. Saul resented the youth because Saul had turned his back on God and David was still trusting God; he never lost his trust in God!

Again in the first part of verse 1, David expresses his faith in God, (CEB)-"I trust in the Lord for safety." This is the secret of David's faith. He knew his hiding place and he went to God in time of need. (Psalm 65:11-NKJV-"In God I put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"). This verse describes the same REFUGE we talked about last time in Psalm 7, of the bird under the mother's wing. (Ruth 2:12).

Immediately David picks up the argument and challenge of the wicked on his situation. "So how can you say to me, 'Flee to the hills like a bird...". The very act of fleeing does not mean running away as they suggested, but a running to the God who is the protector. (Read John 8:44 which shows the source of the wicked 's cry. The accuser of the brethren! Also read 2 Corinthians 11:13-15). "...because the wicked have already bent their bows, they have already strung their arrows; they are ready to secretly shoot those whose heart is right." (Read Psalm 64:3-4; 10:8-10). This is what the enemy was trying to do to David! His position is pertinent to the nation of Israel, so all the forces of Hell are being released to destroy him. The head of all this grief is using Saul, who had been God's anointed King to destroy David, God's new anointed King of Israel! Self-centered hatred can bring down kingdoms and has done it before!

(CEB)-"When the bottom of things fall out, what can a righteous person possibly accomplish?"-verse 3. (TLB) says, -"law and order have collapsed, we are told. What can the righteous man do but flee?" This is not David's opinion but the reasoning of the wicked. (Speaking of the wicked, Psalm 82:5-(NKJV)-says, -"They do not know, nor do they understand; they walk about in darkness..." as opposed to Psalm 87:1-The righteous man's " Foundation is in the Holy Mountains;". God's JUSTICE is forever! (Psalm119:152; we must prepare for battle-Ephesians 6:10-18 by putting on the armor of God). We can be victorious in battle!

David sobering statement of God's JUSTICE as He declares loudly and boldly is in Psalm 11:4-(TLB)-"But the Lord is still in His Holy Temple; He still rules from heaven. He closely

watches everything that happens here on earth." The charges against David are false! He is not flying away, retreating as a scared bird. He is flying to his leader for protection and instruction. He makes this clear when he said, "But the Lord is still in His Holy Temple!" (1Corinthians 3:16-"Do you not know that YOU ARE THE TEMPLE OF GOD AND THAT THE SPIRIT OF GOD DWELLS IN YOU." Since we are His Temple, we are where He dwells-"YOU ARE THE TEMPLE!" David went on to say, "He closely watches everything that happens here on earth." (Psalms 33:18-(NKJV)-"Behold the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy."; 34:15-"The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ear is open to their cry. The face of the Lord is against Those who do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth."; also read Isaiah 66:1-2).

David compares the JUSTICE of the righteous and the JUSTICE of the wicked in verse 5. "The Lord tests the righteous, but the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates." ( Genesis 22:1-"...God tested Abraham...".). Why be surprised that He also tests us! As for the wicked and violent, -"Upon the wicked He will rain fire and brimstone and a burning wind shall be the portion of their cup." God hates Sin. The Hebrew word for this English word "hates" is "rejection". His feelings against rebellious sin is to turn His back on them, "Rejection". (Exodus 23:1-9; 3:6-15-"The I Am Who I Am."). When God speaks all earth pauses to listen, for He is the Creator of all things. So we as children of God must listen to His voice. The quote concerning " fire and brimstone" is a reminder of Sodom and Gomorrah when God reigned down His JUSTICE. (Genesis 19:1-29). (The cup referred to is explained in Psalm 75:8-the cup of God's wrath.) Psalm 11:6-(CEB)-"Their cups will be filled with nothing but scorching hot wind...".

Why is all this necessary? Psalm 11:7 says, Because, "The Lord is righteous and loves good deeds;... " These are qualifications which are acceptable and necessary for the act of JUSTICE to occur. GOD IS THE ONLY HONEST SOURCE OF JUSTICE! (Psalms 33:5-NKJV)-"He loves righteousness and JUSTICE. The earth is full of the goodness of the Lord."; 45:7-"You love righteousness and hate wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness more than your companions."). That's the part that makes me feel the power if His JUSTICE. If I listen to His voice and obey it, I will receive righteous JUSTICE!

David concludes in verse 7-(TEV)-"Those who obey him will live (forever) in His presence." Wow! To be in God's presence forever is a reward more than any of us deserve, but through Jesus Christ we have access to GODTHE JUSTICE, and He brings His will to pass We are given the JUSTICE God assured us of. THE GOD OF JUSTICE IS OURS AND DWELLS WITHIN US!

Next time...