Six

Chris

I ran my hand on the other side of the bed. Feeling nothing, I opened one eye and looked over at the other side. It was empty. I yawned and stretched before getting out of bed.

"Babe!" I called as I rubbed my eye.

The sound of a basketball caught my attention. I walked over to the door and stood there. I watched as Jasmine played around. She's actually pretty good.

"Think fast." She turned around and threw the ball at me.

The ball hit my stomach and bounced back over to her.

"Ahh. You gotta be quicker than that." She smiled and waved her finger.

"What you doing out here?" I groaned and held my stomach.

"Clearing my mind. It calms me down. I played basketball a lot while I was in jail."

Before I could reply, my phone began to ring.

Jasmine

I studied Chris' face as he talked on the phone.

I bounced the ball around but never took my eyes off him. He ended the call and quickly walked into the house.

"What was that about?" I sat the ball down as I got a water out of the fridge.

"Just my homeboy checking on us. He still helping us find Kam."

"I'm tired of this shit. We have to go to the police."

"You heard what she said."

"I don't give a fuck anymore. That's my son. This bullshit has gone on for far too long."

Chris nodded. "You right."

"Let's go." I grabbed his keys.

"And what do you think you're doing?" He took his keys out of my hand

"Driving to the police station....."

"Right...get in." Chris climbed into the car.

"Why do you get in the car like that? It looks awkward as fuck." I laughed

"So you got jokes now? Thats cool." He nodded.

"Awww, I'm sorry baby." I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"No, don't try to love on me now."

I laughed and shook my head. I looked out the window at the different people walking down the sidewalks. I slightly smiled as a little boy and his mother crossed the street while we were stopped at a red light. I could feel Chris staring at me but I just held my head down. A few moments later he put the car in park and sighed.

"You ok?"

I nodded. "Let's get this started." I unbuckled my seatbelt and got out of the car.