Chapter 4

Hercules and I returned to the lifeless diner, my folded arms placed again the metallic table and my eyes staring at nowhere in particular. My emotional state had returned to a sense of nothingness, my soul an empty void lingering in a dead body. I could feel Herc's gaze lingering on me but I refused to speak. I didn't really know what to say anyway, so there was no point in making an effort to make a conversation, and nor did I feel like it. 

I was curious as to why some people walked around in a trance and then there were those like Herc and I, who apparently had some awareness of our pathetic Underworld existence. And that was just one of many unanswered questions that I had...

Including Felix. I needed to see him, even though I knew about his fate...he was like my brother - even James, who had successfully lived through everything and now resided in the world above, probably alone. And that's what saddened me. I didn't want my two boys alone, dead or alive. And so, I couldn't keep my moping act up.

"Herc, we need to find Felix," I mumbled and I heard him sigh a little, putting his head in his hands. 

"I was sort of hoping our trip to the library would take you away from all that,"he grumbled and I chuckled, shaking my head and forcing a small smile. 

"I...don't think you understand," I mumbled my words again and he sat up, leaning back into the booth with folded arms. 

"I do, it's just -"

"I know, it's the Underworld," I dramatically and sarcastically pronounced the word, 100% done with it all. I was dead - could it get any worse? "Please, Herc. At least ask one of your workers - and speaking of work, shouldn't you be -?" 

He chuckled before replying. "Yeah, technically. Okay, how about a deal?" At the words, I froze up but...he wasn't Pan and his cheeky, playful grin proved that. He was kind - and Pan was quite the opposite. "I go to work, ask about Felix and you return to your house and don't cause trouble." 

"I'm not a baby," I groaned but he gently shook his head.

"It's not that I don't trust you, it's the fact that I don't trust anyone else here and what they could do," he said and I swallowed down the lump in my throat, dropping my gaze back onto the table. I wasn't...used to someone...genuinely looking out for me. I never knew who to trust - but could I trust Herc? 

I nodded.

+++

Every second that didn't pass felt like a heavy burden against my chest. I was only left to my pondering thoughts that was on the verge of consuming me, and if I were alive, they might have. Lying on my couch, I stared up at the ceiling, my bottom lip slightly detached from the top. Things might have been different...if I didn't have my memories back. 

As soon as I heard knocks at the door, I took a sharp inhale and practically jumped off the couch, running and skidding to a stop. I quickly opened the door and without hesitation, I threw my arms over the blonde's neck. 

"Felix," I breathed, half from the sudden jolt out of my comfy position and from shock. I felt his arms around me, pulling me close as we stayed in that hug for a little while longer. Pulling away, my widened eyes looked into his tired ones, and I took his face in my hands. "You're okay."

"If 'okay' means dead, then yep, I'm okay," he said and I chuckled, taking a step back and letting him in, followed by Herc. But I put my foot out, causing him to stop midway. 

"Thank you," I said and the boy smiled, nodding once and walking in; I closed the door behind them and we all headed to the living room, in which I was previously located.