Chapter 10

"Serena, are you almost ready?" my maid said, carefully folding my other gowns onto my bed. I rolled my eyes, heaving my brown hair up into a braid before grabbing my gown and half-running to the door.

"Alright, I'm going!" I yelled back, slamming the door open and whizzing through the corridor. "Sorry, excuse me, pardon me," I anxiously mumbled, trying not to walk or run into anyone as I hurried along. I was always late to breakfast – sleeping in was just too enjoyable, but I knew what was coming at me. A lecture from my mother.

Stepping into the dining hall, half-breathless and with all eyes on me, I smiled awkwardly as I collected my gown in my hands and walked over to my designated seat. My mother, two younger brothers and father watched carefully and in-silence before my mother broke it.

"One day, you'll learn that it is not proper to be late."

"It's just breakfast," I grumbled and William, the youngest of us siblings, cackled quietly as he took a sip from his water; I kicked up from beneath the table.

"Ouch!"

"Serena," my father said but I quickly lowered my head, swallowing down the lump in my throat; I started picking at me bowl of fruit. "Serena." This time, it wasn't aimed at me getting in trouble. It was softer and when I looked up, I waited for him to continue. "As you know, you're turning...17 this year." He paused and I looked over to my mother who had just placed her cutlery down.

"There are suitors –"

"No..." I mumbled, mainly to myself and in disbelief. "You can't –"

"Serena, please listen to your mother," Father said and I took a deep breath, clenching my jaw but not moving.

"Fine," I sneered out and waited for her to continue again.

"We'd just like you to meet him. Here's outside at the moment. He's a handsome boy and very sweet."

"We're thinking of you. We want you to be happy," my father added. Taking a sigh, I nodded, placing down my spoon. As shocked as I was, I knew this day was coming. It was inevitable for someone like me.

"I might as well should go and meet him now."

"You haven't finished eating," Mother said softly; I saw Richard, my other brother, glare at me from across the table.

"I'm not that hungry anyway..." I mumbled and got to my feet. Technically, it wasn't a lie and so, turning to one of the maids, I asked politely, "could you show me to this man, please?" She took a single nod and quietly responded with, "of course, your highness. Follow me."

The walk to the courtyard went rather quickly and before I knew it, I had walked onto the crisp, spring air and saw a man in a blue, prince attire, with his back to me. His outfit was rather beautiful, blue and white woven linen and golden flowering. When he turned around, my bottom lip dropped at his beauty. Swept brown hair, green eyes, a smirk I knew I wouldn't forget...

"Hello, Serena," he said, his voice smooth and silky. I was taken aback for a moment before taking a deep breath and smiling.

"Hello..."

"I'm Prince Adam," he introduced himself and, walking closer towards him, I could feel my cheeks blossom like the flowers surrounding us. "It's a beautiful day, don't you think?" And it was those words that started a conversation that seemed to go on for hours: the two of us even missed lunch accidentally, since we were so engrossed in one another. I guess...this isn't such a bad idea. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time...

But the fairy tale was destined to end sooner or later.

And it was much sooner than I had ever expected.

We were in the far depths of the courtyard, where practically no guards roamed nor maids. We were completely alone and that's when...

With his back to me, I swallowed down the lump in my throat as he started to chuckle rather darkly.

"I didn't expect it to be this easy." Wait...what the hell did he mean? But I didn't have to wait long for my answer. "Killing Prince Adam was easy but wooing you?"

I instantly stumbled backwards, suddenly afraid and wondering how I could escape – well, whoever the hell he was. He slowly turned around and unsheathed his dagger, causing me to gasp. Just as I was about to let out some sort of yelp, he smashed his hand against my mouth and placed the dagger to my stomach with his other hand. "Don't you dare make a sound...or I'll kill you instantly."

My mind was spinning and my eyes showed only confusion and fear...but I did what he said. Nodding, he slowly released my mouth. With a wave of his hand, the two of us were enveloped in a green mist and I blacked out.

When my eyes reopened, I knew exactly what I was in: a cage in some sort of dusty, old house. The windows were cracked and I was barely able to see through it. There were no other furniture around and the door to whatever I was in was sightly ajar.

But then it opened and...the boy returned.

"What do you want with me?" I yelled in desperation, running forward and grabbing the bars with my cold hands. But he chuckled, amused by the situation and playing with the dagger in his hand.

"I merely need you for a trade."

"What?"

He rolled his eyes as if everything was so predictable, but I had no clue who he even was or what his intentions were. He walked towards me, holding up the dagger and an eyebrow flicking up.

"Every guard is out looking for you but I've enchanted this cabin so nobody can ever find you. Of course, that is until they return what is mine."

"And what's yours?"

"Your father stole something precious of mine," the boy sneered, sheathing the dagger and pursing his lips. "And I intend to get it back through you."

"What the hell could be more valuable than my life?" I snapped, peering through bars with a fierce expression. But the boy laughed.

"A certain...dust."

"Dust? You're bargaining my LIFE for DUST?" I yelled, getting angrier by the second. But it seemed like I was aggravating the boy. He suddenly appeared in front of me, a face dark as the night sky I didn't expect to see again.

"PIXIE DUST! Your thief of a father stole it from me, and no thief gets away from me alive."

"What – no, you just said you'd trade me over!"

The boy suddenly smirked, turning on his heels and unsheathing his dagger. Wait, dust? Pixie dust? What was this about? Who was he?

"That was until you annoyed me."

"NO, PLEASE! Spare my father," I cried, holding onto the bars like my life depended on it; my nails dug into my skin but I was numb to the pain. "Take me instead." The boy scoffed and turned around again. My mind was spinning with questions and exhaustions. Please just let this be a bad dream.
"You? You are of no valuable to me. You're just a girl."

"I'll...I'll prove myself." But all he did was laugh, keeping his back to me.

"I'll be sure to send the king your regards."

"NO, PLEASE!" But as he slammed the door shut, a piece of paper escaped his torso and slowly made itself over to me. With tears now streaming down my cheeks, I leaned down and took the parchment with shaky hands. And that's when I realised who he was. The Piper from the fables I'd heard of as a child...

PETER PAN NEVER FAILS