Chapter 13

It seemed as if the three of us were becoming quite familiar with my living room area. I was standing with my back to the boys as they discussed what to do...and how to do it, but I wasn't bothered to join in the discussion. It was pointless. Why?

Pan found out how we could escape but at the moment, it was impossible. Someone from the living had to be in the Underworld and then one of us could take their heart to make it our own. Ironically, it was a similar goal to what Pan had all those centuries: finding the heart of the truest believer. But now, we merely needed a living heart and we were in the land of the dead.

Folding my arms, I looked out over the reddened Storybrooke, with people aimlessly walking around and keeping their heads down like the weight of the world crushed upon every individual. In a way, it did. 

I swallowed down the lump in my throat, beginning to hear an argument bubble from behind.

"You lack faith, Felix," Pan snapped and Felix sighed.

"I trust you but this – what hope is there left for us?" He sounded more exhausted than Pan and I combined. And at least Pan and I had each other – his beloved James was alive and had no way of ever reaching him.

"There has to be a way – something!"

"There isn't!" Felix yelled back and I flinched upon hearing the slam of a book; I kept still, my back to them and my throat started to tighten up. "You don't get it, Pan. We're stuck here. Just give up already."

"I will never stop fighting for Serena and I's happiness, you got that?" he sneered back and I lowered my gaze, fighting my own tears. It hurt to see how willing Pan was in a place where our happiness wasn't even an option. There was nothing we could do about it and yet, he was holding onto the smallest thing, for us.

"I think you've forgotten the fact that Jane wants to –" Felix started but was quickly cut off.

"I KNOW!" Pan yelled and I jumped in my spot again, clutching onto my arms. My jaw clenched and I quickly blinked, hoping the tears would fade but one managed to slip out and roll across my lifeless cheeks. But then it was Pan's time to sigh and there was a moment of silence, but it held too long for my liking. Turning around on my heels, I saw something I truly didn't expect to see. Felix was hugging Pan, whose arms hung from his side and eyes that glimmered with tears like myself. My bottom lip dropped, seeing Felix embrace his breaking friend.

Within a few steps, I wrapped my arms around them both, turning the hug into a group hug. It was silent for a few more moments until I brought myself to speak up.

"We may be dead but we still need to look out for one another, okay?" I started, pulling away and my gaze flickering between both of them. "And that means, no more fights." I lifted my hand and gently brushed away Pan's tears, which were as rare as a crying mermaid; I smiled and then turned to Felix. His head was bowed and I placed my hands on his upper arms, waiting for his head to lift before I continued. And then it did. "I know this is tough, for all of us, but please, just..." I broke my sentence, feeling my throat sting as I looked down.

"You don't have to worry about me, Serena. I'll always protect you." His words shocked me for a moment before he pulled me into a hug. I closed my eyes and once again, I found myself wishing I was alive so I could feel his brotherly-embrace. He was family to me. All of the boys were and, somehow I felt responsible for Felix's death.

I made a promise to myself in that moment: if Pan and I were to ever leave the Underworld, we wouldn't leave without Felix.

+++