❅ Chapter 1 ❅

"You need to eat."

I glared at Nicola, my friend, someone I loved, and sneered. "I told you, I'm not hungry."

She reciprocated the dirty look. "I swear to the Gods, Neva, if you don't open your damn mouth and take a bite I will open it for you and force feed you. Do you want that?"

Normally I would call her bluff, but I was too tired to argue. So I opened my mouth wide and let her slide the spoon inside. Metal clinked against my teeth. The thick broth of the brew wasn't as warm as it could've been, but I assumed that was because I fought eating it for so long.

She smiled. "There, that wasn't so bad, was it?"

I rolled my eyes. "It was terrible."

She smacked my arm lightly. "Why do you have to be this way?"

I gave her a leveling stare from under my lashes, my face slack. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because I just learned that my mother, Queen Mab, the woman who has slaughtered millions of innocents for her own personal agenda, has somehow tied her soul to mine. Let's not forget: she's sucking my magic from my soul. The magic I get from my father, Death. She's doing this so she can grow more powerful and someday take over the world. Nothing to worry about. Nothing to be shitty about."

Nic didn't say anything, but I could see the pity shining clearly in her eyes. She opened her mouth but was cut short by a curt knock on the door. "Come in," she called.

Sebastian O'Neill stood in the doorway. He was tall, nearly touching the ceiling, and his ebony hair now hung to his shoulders. He glared at us with golden eyes blazing brighter than the sun. "Foster is requesting you."

We both knew he wasn't talking about me.

Nicola looked back down at me. She reached out, moving hair from my face with a gentle stroke of her hand. "Okay, I'll be there in a minute."

Bash didn't miss a beat. "No. Now."

Nicola turned on him, and the room seemed to sizzle. "I said I'll be out in a minute!"

But again, Sebastian didn't budge. Nicola sighed before bending down to kiss my forehead. "I'll be back. When I do, I want you to tell me more about those star-crossed lovers you said you heard in Mab's castle. They sound so enticing." She winked before she spun on her heel and marched out of the room, careful not to look back.

I expected Bash to leave with her, but he didn't. He just stood there in the threshold glaring.

Again, I wasn't in the mood, but any chance to talk to Bash after... what happened was a chance I had to take.

"Sebatian -"

He held a hand up, stopping me. "I don't want to hear your desperate pleas and excuses on why we should keep our friendship going, Eve. I just wanted you to know that I don't care about you. The only reason why I'm here is for Clance and to make sure he survives. I will do anything for him. And if siding with you," he stopped to look me up and down, "is what it takes, then fine. I'll do it. But don't think for a second that it's for you."

My mouth snapped shut, and I gave a curt nod. I couldn't blame him. I murdered his sister, and even if it was in self defense how could he forgive me? I had no actual siblings, but I remember the bond Jack, Lucas and I had. When we were younger it felt like nobody could tear us apart.

All expect a bloody war and some faerie genetics, a haunted voice echoed from deep in my mind.

Bash didn't say anything else. He turned and followed Nicola out of the room.