❅ Chapter 14 ❅

We were a day's walk from the border of the Summer Court, and my message was still on it's way to the Bairfell Palace where Mab resided.

It wouldn't be long now - I could feel them, Fenris and Farkas, approaching human territory in my mind. It was as if there was a veil over the land, the absence of a faerie's pure magic.

Master... They purred against my mind, and I ran a mental hand through their fur.

Remember, kill everything you see. Kill every barghest, every trolls. Shred them, but leave Mab alone. If you catch wind of her, run. Come back to me.

Silence was their only answer, but I knew without a doubt that they'd follow through.

The sun had rose and the group and I were on our second night of walking, trekking through the last half of the Spring Court, away from Del-Haggith. Getting past the Guardian was a struggle, but with Akan and I cloaking the group, the dragon could only use it's sense of smell.

A new day was waning, and I could feel the change it brought. It was almost like a living thing, resting across my shoulders, purring in my ear. Today was the day we'd finally make it to the Summer Court, finally have an army to rally behind us.

Or so I hoped.

A soft brush of flesh over my fingers and my head snapped up. Clear blue iris met my own. Foster fell in step with me.

"Are you ever going to tell me what message you sent your mother?"

I turned and faced forward. "I assumed you'd see that two of my Familiars are missing."

A low, gurthy sound came from his throat. His eyes were as sharp as blades as they slid to me. "I did, but I didn't think you'd be so stupid as to send them after Mab."

This time I snarled. "I wasn't 'stupid enough'. They were warned that if they catch so much as a sent of Mab to come back to me." Why did he think I couldn't handle myself? After all this time and all that I had done.

"But why would you risk them?" he asked, his face scrunched. The keenness dulled into concer. His good hand squeezed my own. "They are part of your soul, Neva. If you lose them, you will lose apart of yourself. You do realize that, don't you?"

I did know. I was aware of the risks, but our situation couldn't handle my selfishness. I had to be as selfless as possible, even if it meant sending a fraction of myself half was across Tir Na Nog to do so.

I glance back down at his hand and I couldn't help the biting snap of guilt. "I'm sorry about your hand," my voice was a low murmur. "I just..."

Foster's pale lips pulled up at the corners. "I know. I probably would've done the same thing."

This startled me. "Really?"

"No," he laughed. I sucked in a breath, turning my face away from him. "But that doesn't mean I don't understand why you did it. You still care for him."

"No." The single syllable flew from my mouth too fast. "I mean, not the way I care for you." I couldn't. I wouldn't. My mind flew to the images it created, of him hovering over pregnant women, his teeth glistening purple, blue, red. Bash's claw like fingers shoving through layers of flesh. The screams of so many innocent.

Foster squeezed my fingers. "I know. It was selfish of me to think that you could drop someone like that. Hell, it took me decades to get over my first love."

I gave him a sideways glance. The idea of someone else holding his heart, his attention, his desire... A low growl vibrated up my throat before I could stop it and Foster chuckled at my horrified expression.