❅ Chapter 18 ❅

A chill spider-walked down my spine and I grabbed the edge of the table to keep myself from falling out of my chair. The air in the room was still, everyone silent, as if terrified their breath would shatter the universe. Akan stood in the doorway, a ravish smile pulled from ear to ear - he loved making an entrance. And Alston... He only had eyes for his brother.

I stared at them, unable to move, but it was Alston himself who broke the silence. "Are you not going to give me a hug, brother?"

My mate stayed firm in his chair, his normally clear eyes now glazed over, his mouth half-open. "I- I don't..."

Alston moved into the room, his movements fluid and quick. In an instant he was kneeling in front of Foster. With what I took was a choked sob, Foster reached from him, pulling him close to his chest. "You damned idiot," Foster muttered, his speech slurred.

Alston's thick arms wrapped around his older brother and I heard him laugh. My throat threatened to close.

We sat there for a moment, all of staring at the reunion taking place in front of us, other's like myself and Nicola also had wet eyes. After a few moments the king cleared his throat, drawing our attention. "Well," he started, "though we haven't finished our meal, I think it would be best to give these two some space."

Alana rose and spoke for the first time. "Your grace," she said in a sharp voice that was thick with an accent I couldn't place. "Do not forgot, you have a meeting with the kingsguard." I watched a secret message, one I was trying so hard to decipher, pass between them.

The king nodded. "How could I forget? Please, forgive me." He bowed at the waist, his red cloak swirling around him. "You may take your leave. The rest of your dinner will be sent to your rooms."

And then he left.

I was unsure of what to do, who to speak to, how to process what had just happened and what was still happening between Foster and Alston. So I just stared at Foster and his brother, still wrapped in a tight embrace.

A maid came to escrot Clance back to his room, and I watched as a small fae child played at her feet, giggling as she clung to what I assumed were her mother's skirts.

Nicola was close behind me, and I felt her warm hand on my shoulder a few moments later. "Come," she whispered into my ear. "Leave them."

I was in a daze as she led me from the dining room and into the hall. Thal was close on our heels.

Nic's fingers wound around my own and she pulled me through the castle as if she knew it like the back of her hand. I tried not to feel alarmed by that, but I couldn't help but feel her ease as she navigated through the labyrinth that was the Summer Palace.

When I finally gathered my wits enough to talk, I asked her where we were going.

"I found the most grand spot," she laughed over her shoulder. "You'll love it, darling!"

And she was right.

Nicola had brought me to a door in which I had never seen before. It was different, painted black unlike the normal good, red, and white of the summer court.

I looked back over my shoulder questionly. "Open it," she ushered me forward. "Open it."

With a small push, the door opened to reveal a room double the size of my bed chambers, a large pool in the center. My eyes gravitated to the back of the room, where there was no wall - just pillars that held up the ceiling. The evening air swirled into the room, pushing stray hair into my face. Huge red curtains hung over the opening, though they billowed as the wind swirled around them.