❅ Chapter 21 ❅

They marched on the Summer Court, a battalion of at least a thousand soldiers, their ornate, silver armor winking in the mid-summer sun. We heard them before we saw them - the tempo of their march, the clink and shuffle of their metal armor rubbing against one another. I was the first to catch a glimpse of them - their silver armor seeming to spill over the hills on the horizon.

I stood atop the stone wall that separated us from the battle soon to come, a calm weight of dread creeping over my shoulders. Foster stood ridgid on my right, his eyes firm as they soaked in the approaching enemy. I reached out, twining my fingers with his.

This was only a handful of her forces, that much we knew. Where were the rest of the Spring soldiers she enslaved - the woodland fae, the fae of the north, and even the humans. Oberon told me she had many as slaves. I had seen more winter fae in Gheimhridh, their snapping, snarling faces a vivid memory behind my eyes.

Nicola hauled herself up the stone latter built into the wall, her pink hair flowing around her soft face. She let out a sigh that sounded rough, built up. "She's coming."

Thal shook his head, his golden hair a stark contrast to the sea of silver below. He was the only one clad in armor - the armor he had worn when he pulled us through the gate we now stood upon. Only he held his helmet under his arm, scanning the approaching soldiers. "No, she will not be leading this army."

"Are you certain?" Nicola asked, her eyes daggers as they stared at her brother.

Thal nodded.

"He's right," Foster said, his cool and collected. Gone was the man I knew - the humor and impish grin. Back was the general all had come to fear. My powerful, merciless knight. "This is only a piece of her army. She'll be with the rest, no doubt be taking the bulk of her men elsewhere."

"Where?" I asked from his side.

Foster's gaze slid to me, his face solem. "I don't know."

"Come," said Thal, already making his descent into the heart of the wall. "We need to rally our forces. It will take them a while to breach the wall and we need to be ready when they do."

We followed the king's son, down into the cool shadows of the wall, and then out into the rolling estate of the manor where men and women scurried with buckets and blankets overflowing their arms, panic written clearly on their face.

Readying for a battle we had not seen coming. We all figured weeks, if not a few months before a battle would occur. Or at least not until we provoked.

I caught a glimpse of Nicola, her face pinched tight, no doubt trying to hide the emotions that were rolling clearly behind her hazel eyes. I made my way over to her, sliding my fingers from Foster's grasp and lacing my arm through hers.

She jumped at first, then relaxed when she looked at me. "I'm alright."

I snorted. "You look like you just tasted shit," I said.

She sighed, "I remember." I was quiet as we walked. We all were, listening, waiting for her to continue. "I remember when Mab attacked. The look on everyone's faces when the inevitable came. She marched on my home just as he was doing now."

I gave her arm a gentle squeeze. "I won't let her take this away from you," I promised, for I knew Nicola loved this place. The eternal heat, the lullying scent of freshly cut grass wafting over a summer stream. She loved this place, because it was part of her. It was her home.

And I was going to fight for it with every fiber in my body. Even if it killed me.

* * * * * * *