Chapter 11

Cal was woken up for the second time this night by his man servant Alecio Erie, a man with hair as black as the night and eyes yellow like the sun. He shook the prince awake and started frantically packing the prince's things for travel.

"M'lord you must leave now, there has been an attack on the royal family. Your father is dead." He turned to face Calidor as he spoke these next words.

"You are the heir to the throne. You are now king." Cal stood up, not realizing what kiling his father would mean for him.

"So she succeeded..." He murmered to himself, too quiet for Alecio to hear. He paced around the room as the man hastily shoved shirts into the prince's bag. Oncde he could fit all he could shove into the bag, he pushed it into the Prince's hands and tossed him his sword.

"M'lord you have to leave now! Get dressed and hurry! Everyone is already leaving. Even your mother has been escorted off the palace ground. We have to take you away, for your safety. Please sir....We cannot lose you too." HIs words were soft and gentle and finally Cal listened.

"Go down to the stables and saddle my Arabian mount. Then find yourself a horse." Cal rushed over to his closet and grabbed the first shirt that would work. Alecio nodded and steadily walked out of the room. Cal slipped on his black pants and brown leather riding boots and looked around for a warm tunic to slip over his creme shirt. Ah there it was, the cozy purple one. The last thing he grabbed was his black cloak with the hood and his sword, still hanging on the belt which he fastened around his waist. He met Alecio at the castle gates, waiting with the two horses. Seemed that Alecio had also run down to the kitchens because there were also three bags off food and two skins of water hanging from his horse's saddle. Cal jumped on his horse and urged him on, Alecio followed closely behind.

"Where is my mother headed?" He asked suddenly remembering his mother wasn't in the castle anymore.

"She is headed towards the north forest, you will be headed south so the assassin won't go after you both." Right, the pretty assassin who had come in to spy on him. He smiled faintly as he remembered her eyes, sparkling blue eyes that reminded him of the sapphires in his crown. Alecio watched his friends face go from worried to dreamy.

"Prince? Are you alright?" Alecio's words snapped him back to the reality and he nodded.
"Tired, thats all. It was a restless night." He wasn't lying, it hadn't been a good night of sleep, which is probably why the girl had woken him up so easily.

"Well lets get you to camp, we have a bunch of royals already waiting for you at a meeting place. It will be safe from the rebellion." Cal stopped.

"The rebellion?" he hadn't known about this part. Alecio nodded.
"The peasats rebellion against the crown. They attacked the castle when the king was dead." The horses keep walking on until they reach the camp.

Rough looking men greeted the soon to be king and his servant, with skins of water and some dry fruit to replenish their systems. Cal hopped off his horse and walked it over to the post where the other horses were currently drinking out of a water bucket. Soilders, Women, Children, Men, Servants and Nobles all surronded him, they all had fled the castle from the attack.

"M'lord, what do we do now??" A womens voice called out.
"Where will we go?" A man shouted.
"How will we find food and clean water?"
"Where will we live?"
"How will we sleep?" Vocies started shoutong at him from all over and it made his head spin.
"Stop!" He cried out. Thousands of eyes looked at him, as he began to think.
"We will build shelter here, send groups out to hunt, find berries, and there is a river nearby. Start a few fires and I will select a few men to hunt. Our ancestors lived like this many years before us and they survived. We will not have the same riches but we can do it. Instead of being a lady or servant, we must be equal." He turned to the small group of men off to his side.