Chapter 5

ADRIEN: Hey.

MARINETTE: Wahh! Oh, Adrien. I didn't see you there. Need something?

ADRIEN: Actually yes. I've been hearing a lot about this festival that the kingdom is gonna be having in a bit. I was wondering if you knew anything about it.

MARINETTE: Actually yes. It's called the Light Festival. Sorry if this might be offensive to you and your friends. Ever since the defeat and banishment of the villains, including your parents, Miraculous has held a festival to celebrate its victory. There's dancing, festivities for people, and at the end, there'd be a huge show of lanterns and lights floating into the air. We'd send them up into the skies, and then wish on them.

ADRIEN: Wow. Sounds like fun.

MARINETTE: It really is. And another plus side is that because it's a kingdom's tradition, school's canceled for everyone, so we can enjoy the festivities.

ADRIEN: Nice. When is it?

MARINETTE: It's tomorrow after morning assembly. With my coronation coming up, it's probably gonna be a really huge festival this year.

ADRIEN: Speaking of your coronation, does it have anything to do with your mother's scepter? Just an off-topic questions.

MARINETTE: Oh, yeah. As part of the ceremony my mother takes out her scepter for everyone to see and uses it to bestow my title.

ADRIEN: Nice. (Looks behind to see someone hiding behind the lockers) I don't mean to interrupt this conversation, but I think someone's watching us.

MARINETTE: (Walks over to the lockers to see Nathaniel and Kim) Guys, seriously? (Kim gives a nervous smile before Marinette pulls both of them out) I'm sorry about these two.

ADRIEN: It's fine. Who might you two be?

MARINETTE: This is Kim, son of Dark Cupid. And this is the Evillustrator's son, Nathaniel. Can you just give me a minute?

(Adrien nods his head "yes")

MARINETTE: What is you guys' problem?

KIM: We're just keeping an eye on these VKs. I'm telling you, Marinette, they're up to no good.

MARINETTE: And as I've told you before, they're fine. And, what's so wrong with me talking to Adrien, Nathaniel? I can take care of myself.

NATHANIEL: I'm sorry, but I can't stand him with you.

MARINETTE: I don't need your approval on who I can be with, as well as who I want to be my friends.

NATHANIEL: Then you just have horrible taste in friends. (Covers his mouth realizing what he just said.)

(Marinette appears shocked by Nathaniel's comment and runs away in tears with Adrien following behind her.)

Underneath a tree

ADRIEN: Marinette, you all right?

MARINETTE: No. you what? I'm not all right. Nathaniel just said the most horrible thing to me.

ADRIEN: Don't let what he said get to you. If anyone in this school is horrible, it's Nathaniel. Some people in this world don't know how to move on from the past. In my opinion, just let it be. If Nathaniel and everyone else in this school can't move on, then don't bother trying to change them.