Chapter 3 - Saved by Fire

'Will you stop your freaking cacophony, Loki?' Sersha yelled over the "howling" that filled every corner of her house, picking up the phone. She cursed on finding it was her landlady. 

'What is that horrible noise coming from your house?' she barked. 

'I am SO sorry, Mrs. Brewster. It - It's my sister's son. She is out of town and has asked me to babysit - ' 

'I don't care who or what is making that noise. I just WANT IT TO STOP. You hear that, Richards. Or I'll throw you off my property.' 

'Yes, Mrs. Brewster. I'll see what I can do to silence him.' Sersha muttered. 

'You better!' With this, she cut the line. 

'This is how you treat the person who saved YOUR LIFE! AND THIS PLANET?' she yelled, throwing the receiver. 

Trying to control her temper, she turned to look at Loki who sat on the couch, wailing. She had already tried every single thing to calm him but in vain. All she wanted to do at that moment was throw him into the Pacific Ocean. Let him go and bother that freaking Osama Bin Laden... and Poseidon; would save her a lot of trouble!! 

All Clint's fault, she thought. She had hardly walked out of the SHIELD headquarters when Clint came running up to her with Loki in his arms earlier that morning. 

'What?' she had asked. 

'I can't do this,' he replied. 

'Do what? Can't take care of a child?' she laughed. 

'Yes. I mean no, no I can't. Not on first watch. Please. Let's exchange. You take care of Loki today; I'll take charge of him tomorrow. Please, Sersha. Look I sided you, right? So please, you take him today.' 

Thinking, what harm will it do? Sersha agreed. At first, she didn't regret it. Loki was behaving nicely. After they reached home from the SHIELD headquarters, Sersha set Loki on the carpet and threw some toys - which she brought on the way (a fellow agent's advice) - around him. Loki sat happily breaking and throwing them around while Sersha went about doing her work. 

And so it was for almost an hour, before Loki started crying. 

'What happened?' she asked, running to him, almost expecting an answer. She picked him up, doing her best to silence him. She was even like - 'Please Loki. If you love me, you'll keep quiet' or 'Stop crying or else I'll take your picture and upload it all over the... er... Asgardian internet. That'll spoil your image, right?' But alas, all Loki did was wail louder, paying her absolutely no heed. It was only when her stomach rumbled that Sersha realized that the God must me hungry. 

She spent the next half an hour searching the net for baby-food, going to the market and then making the ''baby-food''. 

'Here... eat THIS and not my head!' Sersha barked, giving Loki the bowl of... creamy-looking-thing? 

Loki stopped weeping and looked at the bowl for sometime before shifting his gaze to Sersha.  

'What? You're not hungry? Eat that,' she ordered. 

Loki looked up at her with big cute emerald eyes before bursting into tears. 

'Why are you crying again?' Sersha asked, helpless. 'I brought you food, now EAT!' Suddenly she realized he can't eat on his own. She slammed her head against the wall at the realization that she had to feed him. 

She sat on the carpet, picked Loki up on her lap and spoon fed him that not-too-good-looking food. At first, she sucked at that. When she brought the spoon near his mouth, he would nibble a little and spit the rest on the carpet and her clothes. She wanted to strangle him for that. But later she found out exactly how much to give him at once. She couldn't help but smile as he looked terribly cute every time he opened his mouth, eyes fixed on Sersha. After sometime, Loki started to kick her hand away, signaling that he did not want to eat anymore. After making him drink some water, Sersha got to her feet, washing the utensils and cleaning her clothes.