Second chance?

I didn't sleep for three days. I had a new routine that no one liked. I would roll out of bed around eleven o'clock, throw on some clothes, and go down stairs. My mom and brother would be sitting on the couch waiting for me in the living room. After a one sided conversation, I would go back to my room and take a shower. The rest of the day I would go for a run on my treadmill, watch a movie, and go to sleep.

 I refused to go to the beach. I didn't like the sand, the tanned boys, and waves crashing against rocks, and especially not the thought of seeing Joel again. I didn't want to see him as long I was still here. And of course, mom wouldn't stop asking what happened and pestered me day after day to get out of the house. But I didn't want to risk seeing him.

But what was he to me anyways? He was a stupid boy I met at the beach. That's what he was. Why was he important to me? He probably did the same thing to every girl he met. How did I become so attached to him? Was it because he showed me attention? No. I need to stop thinking about him.

So after a week, I decided I was going to go out there and be me. Abby. I don't need Joel to be happy.

"Morning mom!" I said, smiling as she walked down stairs to the smell of buttery pancakes and maple syrup.

"Morning, Abby." She said, rubbing her eyes and looking at the food I had prepared. After we ate breakfast, we prepared to go down to the beach. I threw on my lime green bikini, and ran down stairs.

The familiar breeze of the beach welcomed me with open arms. The sun shining, and the shack reminded me how much I missed being at the beach. After swimming for a few hours, I decided it was time to get my tan on. As I laid my pink beach towel out on the sand, someone walked up behind me.

"Abby..." The voice said. I recognized it instantly.

"Joel go away." I said, without turning around. Be strong Abby; don't cry.

"No, Abby. I need to talk to you." He said grabbing my shoulder and turning me to face him. The sadness in his eyes made me want to embrace him in a hug but I remembered what he did to me.

"Leave me alone, Joel! Why won't you understand you are NOTHING to me. Whatever we had is DONE. It is OVER. We have nothing anymore.,"I said, trying to hold back tears. "You hurt me, Joel! I don't want you to pretend you have interest in me! I saw you with my own two eyes kissing that girl." Bursting into tears, he embraced me.

"Abby.. Oh Abby.." He said, holding me in his arms. He tried to wipe my tears away, and I stopped him.

"Please just stop being nice to me. You hurt me too much, Joel. We were supposed to be on our first date. I wasn't supposed to find you like that." What was I saying? Why was I saying all this?!

"Abby you don't understand. Why don't you let me make it up to you? So I can tell you the truth. I didn't mean for that to happen. Just give me a chance to explain, and you can decide whether you want to talk to me again or not. I've came here every day for the past week waiting for you to come. I thought you left me." He said, with remorseful eyes. I can't say no to him.

"Fine. Meet me here at seven. Don't be late. This is your chance." I said, turning to leave. It was way too much excitement for one day.

"I'll be early." He said, kissing my hand and leaving the beach.