Hospital

Darkness overwhelmed me. It was quiet and still in my world,until I regained my hearing. I could hear the loud cries of my mother, waiting for the doctor to come in. Although I couldn't see the look on Joel's face, I could hear his pacing feet as they walked back and forth by my bedside. Even Jenna seemed like she remotely cared, comforting my mother and speechless brother. I had been this way for three days now. I couldn't move or speak, even if I tried. I blocked out the world.

The doctor called this "shock". He told my mother and brother within a few days, I won't be so shocked and I'll be okay. Every hour, nurses flooded the room, checking my vital signs. At night, mom would hold my hand and tell me stories about me and dad, and the stupid pranks we used to pull on her. When mom and Willie left the room for lunch, Joel would sit by my bedside, crying and stroking my cheek. He told me how sorry he was, and told me secrets he hadn't told anyone else before.

This whole shock thing wasn't too bad.

"Abby, we didn't get a chance to talk at the restaurant like you wanted, so let me tell you about myself.." He began, looking into my eyes.

"I've never met my mother or my father. I've seen pictures, but they didn't want me. I was as accident. I've been in and out of foster care since I can remember. My adopted mother owns a little bakery in town, and she adopted me when I was five. She's the only mother I've ever known."

"Sam was my first real girlfriend. Its pretty lame to say it, but she was also my first kiss. We dated for a few months and she got freakishly attached to me. I don't ever want to date her again, but she doesn't get it."

"After graduation, I want to go to California, and be in the National Surfer's Association, and participate in National contests. I'm the best surfer in several states.." He said, pausing.

"And I'd like to take you with me. I want to show you the world. Please get better." He said, tears starting to trickle down his face, falling onto my bed. He leaned in, and kissed me on the lips, surprising myself when I kissed him back.

I sat straight up, touching my lips, and looked at him in amazement.

"Sleep Beauty awakes?" He said, giggling.

Smiling at him, I pulled him in just in time for Willie to walk in on us kissing.