Forgiving Joel

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Mom asked, as she helped me put on my coat.

"I'll be fine." I said. Joel and I were just talking, not even a real date.

"Be careful." She said, as I slipped my phone in my pocket.

"I can kick his butt." My brother, Willie, said.

"You won't be touching anyone!" Jenna sad, pinching his arm; making him squeal. I left them to argue and fuss, while I walked out the door.

My clock read 6:55, and if he isn't here at seven on the dot, I'm leaving. This is his chance.

Unexpectedly, he was sitting in the sand waiting for me. He was early. He recognized me instantly, and yelled my name. The sun was just setting, and he was gazing up at it.

"I'm glad you could make it." He said, smiling and putting his hand on top of mine.

"Not so fast," I said, moving my hand. 

"Explain." I said, crossing my arms and awaiting an explanation.

"Okay. The girl you saw? She's my ex. And she wanted to get back with me. I tried explaining that I wasn't interested in her, but she was mad. She kissed me, not the other way around." He said, looking at me.

"Sure." I said, starting to get up. I'm tired of guys toying with my emotions to make girls jealous.

"Wait. I mean it. I know your mad, but I don't want her. Honest. If I did, do you think I would have ran after you?" He said.

Something hit me.

"You ran after me?" I said.

"You were too busy running to notice. I ran as fast as I could. I knocked on your door, and a college student told me to leave. I'm guessing your sister." He said.

"Jenna never told me." I said.

"Didn't you get my notes or gifts?" He said.

"What are you talking about?" I said, confused.

"Jenna said she would give it to you. I wrote to you every day you weren't at the beach. I brought roses a few times, and brought beautiful shells I found on the beach.." He said, looking down at his toes.

"Jenna.." I thought. She was dead when I got home.

"Do you forgive me?" He asked, watching the waves.

"I guess I do." I said, even thought I knew the trouble with his ex wasn't even close to being over.