Chapter 6

James POV

I turned back into my stag form as I ran after Remus, Sirius and Peter, but it was easy to overtake a rat. A werewolf and a dog, not so much so. I cried out involuntarily as Remus struck Lily with his claws, sending her crashing to the ground, and struck again.

Luckily, Sirius was right behind him, and tackled him to the ground to stop him from hurting Lily more. Oh, this was all my fault! If I had just remembered this was a full moon and not taken Lily outside tonight! There was nothing I could do but try to take her inside. I slid on the grass, still wet from the morning's rain, and reached Lily. By this point she had fallen unconscious, probably from lack of blood.

Her long red hair was tangled in her face, and I reached down and stroked it, trying to calm down. I slid my arms underneath her and picked her up gently, trying not to touch her wounds. I would go find Dumbledore and explain to him what had happened. Then we would take her to the Hospital Wing.

I used the summoning spell, Accio, to summon my broom. I slid onto it with Lily still in my arms and flew carefully over to Dumbledore's tower where his office resided. Luckily, he was still working up late and saw me at the window with Lily unconscious in my arms.

He used some charm to make the window disappear and ushered us inside.

"What happened!?" He asked, a frown of worry creasing his forehead. "Why was she outside?"

"I took her outside to talk with her for a while, but I completely forgot it was a full moon! I didn't know what to do other than to bring her to you, Professor! Either that, or the Hospital Wing, where they would ask questions which I wouldn't know the answers to!" I replied frantically, fear for Lily spreading through me.

"Let's go to the Hospital Wing now. We can explain to Madam Pomfrey. She knows about Remus' problem, so she should understand." Dumbledore said, with me following him, carrying a still unconscious Lily in my arms. Lilys' head was slumped against my chest, the blood pouring from her back onto my white sleeves. We quickly reached the hospital wing, me rushing to place her on a bed as Dumbledore woke Madam Pomfrey. Lily would have looked so peaceful lying there on the white sheets, her flaming hair spread around her, if it weren't for the growing pool of blood.

"What happened?!" Madam Pomfrey cried in anguish. I looked to Dumbledore for an explanation, but he gestured for me to remain silent for the time being. Madam Pomfrey was looking over Lily, gently turning her over to see the wounds on her back. Whatever I had been expecting, it wasn't this. There were 6 deep gashes across her back, blood pouring out. The outsides of the cuts were slightly green. Her skin had gone a grey shade, from the lack of blood.

Madam Pomfrey pulled out her wand and started to mutter some healing spells, closing the cuts. When she was finished, there were only 6 long white scars.

"Mr. Potter, I must ask that you leave. Miss Evans needs her rest." Madam Pomfrey ordered.

"But-" I started to protest but her glare cut me off. I slowly walked out of the hospital wing, not noticing Dumbledore was standing just outside the doors until he spoke.

"I would recommend that you go back to your common room James." He spoke in his quiet voice. "But I can't control what you do, tonight of all nights." His words reminded me that Sirius and Peter were still out there with Remus. I cursed under my breath before running off away from Dumbledore, his gaze following me down the hallway. I burst through the doors, heading outside where I saw Padfoot leading Moony into the Forbidden Forest. I turned into Prongs before chasing after them, reaching them in less than 2 minutes. I went up to Padfoot who looked at me with a questioning look, and I knew he was asking about Lily. I nodded. Hopefully she would be okay. We ran through the rough undergrowth, playing games for the rest of the night. Just before the first streak of light struck, we lead Moony to the Shrieking Shack, waiting for him to turn.

When the first light shone through the broken window of the shack, Moony let out a howl. His back cracking, we watched from the corner of the room as his bones relocated themselves. When the change finished and he sank onto the bed, Sirius, Peter and I all changed out from our animagus forms into our normal appearances.

"Anything bad happen last night guys?" Remus asked in a weary voice. Sirius and I make wary eye contact, before deciding not to tell him. At least not yet.

"Nah, you were a bit rough, but it was alright, I guess. Could have been worse." Sirius replied. We hoisted Remus off the bed and led him back to the castle, and into the hospital wing. We took him to one of the end beds, on the left seeing as the right was occupied with a curtain around it.

"I'll go get Madam Pomfrey." I suggested, turned and heading to her office. "Is that Lily in the end bed?" I asked as I entered. Madam Pomfrey stood up from her desk and nodded.

"And you're not to disturb her. We want her to heal properly." She said, sending me an accusing look.

"Yep, of course. Just do me a favour and don't tell Remus. We avoided telling him for now, but we'll tell him later when he's feeling a bit better." I begged, watching her closely until she agreed.

"You should tell him soon though, so it doesn't come as that big of a surprise. I nodded and headed out to breakfast with Sirius and Peter. Today was going to be a very long day.

Thanks for reading everyone! Means loads to me! Please keep commenting!!!