|prolouge|

A 15 year old girl pants as she runs through the dark woods of the small forest with a group of vampire behind her, tears streaming down her face. She clutches the half full vial of purple liquid her father gave her tightly in her hand, trying not to drop it in her attempt to run.

Finally, she spots the edge of the forest. She stops for a second and looks behind her to see if she could spot anybody. When she doesn't see anyone, she quickly runs towards. While casting a plethora of looks behind her every once in a while in fear, she forgets to watch where she's running to and accidentally runs into someone's back. The impact catches her off guard and throws her back a couple of feet. She lands of her back with a thud. Her eyes automatically shut in pain and she lets out a groan.

A second later, she opens her eyes and sits up, ignoring the sharp stabbing pain in her legs, head and now, her back. She looks up at the person she just bumped into and hopes to God it isn't one of the vampires she's being chased by.

It isn't.

It's a woman.

The woman is standing behind a swing set and Elora can't see who's in the swing, but judging by the fact that it was a swing for toddlers, it was probably the lady's kid.

"I'm so sorry." She apologizes as she gets up on her feet in difficulty, trying to wipe her tear stained face and tear filled eyes in the process.

The lady watches her in curiosity and suspicion, "Who are you? Why didn't I hear or smell you coming?"

Elora's eyes widen in surprise. She had assumed that the first question the lady would ask would be about her bleeding head. Guess not.

"Well," she starts off, "I was careful to be really quite and you wouldn't be able to smell me anyway. That's not something humans can exactly do."

Her eyes widen even further, but this in fear. She realized that she had just said. No human would ask "why couldn't I smell you coming?"
Which could only mean one thing. This lady was one of them.

Elora instinctively backs up in fear, "Please don't hurt me."

"Hurt you?" Hayley looks confused, "Why would I hurt you?"

"You're one them aren't you?" Elora questions innocently, "Vampires? They're following me." She lets out a sob, "They- they killed my dad." She falls to her knees in pain and wraps her arms around herself.

Hayley looks down with worry evident on her face and she bends down as well to get eye leveled with the sobbing girl.

"Hey," she says softly, "I'm not a bad guy. Do you know why they killed your dad? What did they want?"

"My dad said," she sniffles, "They wanted me. He said he didn't have time for an explanation and told me to drink this before running as far as I can away from our car crash."

"Okay okay," Hayley stands up in caution. There could be vampires anywhere right now and her main priority was protecting Hope, "Do you want to come home with me? You can stay for a while."

"Oh I wouldn't want to be any trouble."

"No, no." Hayley shakes her head, "It's no trouble at all darling."

Hayley had been a mother for four years now and she loved her daughter more than anything. Seeing this young, innocent girl run for her life made Hayley feel protective over her. She couldn't help but imagine Hope in her position and that did not settle well with her. So, Hayley does what she would want someone to do with her daughter, she decides to take the girl in and help her.