Chapter 30

~ Quinn's p.o.v ~

It was the end of the eighth inning. We were winning by quite a few points from hitting multiple runs and just hitting the ball in general. I already went up to bat but I didn't hit a run. I did manage to get to third base but I nearly got tagged out. We are on our second out so I know my team would be a little pissed since right now we need to make as many hits and runs as we can without getting the last out.

"Hows the cut?"
Mark asked me.

"It's still bleeding. How are you like...not passed out?"
I scoffed as I ran my finger around the cut. He flinched.

"Your eye is bruising up too. He really beat the shit out of you"
"I'm fine though"
He sighed.

"I know but...jesus. I'm taking you to the hospital after the game"
"We'll go when I say it's time to go"
"Are you trying to get it infected?"
"No. I sorta want to have some fun before going"
I rolled my eyes from his response.

"Strike two!"
I hear the catcher say. I looked at who was batting. It was Logan.

I watch him swing the bat again. He missed.

I let out a sigh and look at the scoreboard.

48 - 36

"Hopefully they suck this round"
Mark said.

I had a feeling today was the day Marian was gonna take their first win in defeating us and ending our streak of winning every game for many years.

I have to admit, I was starting to get a little anxious and more stressed than I already was. I always stressed out at the end of every game. It basically when everyone tries their hardest to hit runs and get as many points as possible to win.

I took a deep breath as I walked out onto the outfield. I was in the left field again and honestly I wanted to be there more then ever. I wanted to make sure I caught the ball and threw it to whoever I had to as fast as possible to prevent Marian from hitting runs.

I looked over at Joey to see him standing there with his hands on his hips. I was able to tell he was stressing out over this. The was he looked and the way he was moving around.

I wanted to tell him everything was going to be okay but I know it'd make him more nervous. He knew they were going to win if we didn't move fast. And it's gonna be impossible to move quick. We're all tired and it's the last inning.

I watch the first batter get up to the home base, picking up the bat. I watch Colby back up and lift his arm, whipping the ball. The batter swings the bat.

Strike 1.

Strike 2.

I watch him swing again after Colby throws the ball.

Strike 3.

I can feel myself starting to calm down. I wipe my sweaty palms on my pants. I look at Joey. I could see that he was feeling a little more better too.

We only needed two more outs from them until the game was over. I know they were gonna score some runs. But it made me feel a little better that they already have an out.

*

It was 48 - 43.

They were starting to catch up to us. They still had two outs which was starting to make me more nervous.

I watch as the batter swings his bat to the ground and start running to first base. Colby catches the ball, immediately wiping it to Mark, which he was standing at first base. He catches the ball, tagging the batter out.

"Jesus fuck..."
I hear Joey curse in relief. I laughed.
"You good?"

"I'm perfect"