「79th period」: tag team time

I R O H A    I N U K A I
犬飼 彩葉
student no. 29

season 2 episode 18

I took one deep breath, aiming directly for his chest, keeping my arm steady, then going for the shot.

Karma would distract Nagisa in a fight, while I take my chance to grab their flag: that was the jist of the plan. But, all that took a huge turn when the redhead chose to surrender.

The best time to kill is when the hunter is hunting its prey. And honestly, it would've been best to follow through that; to shoot Nagisa while they were still fighting.

I had a lot of opportunities. But more than anything, I wanted them to settle this themselves.

I couldn't interfere just yet.

With a few exchanged fists and spoken words, I saw how dead serious they both were, as if it wasn't just about the assassination. They fought in a way that made sure everyone had it fair, in a way that made them hear each other out. What Sugino and Kayano talked about started making sense.

"They used to be a lot closer, and I honestly miss those days" I remembered Hikaru tell me once.

It took a single step to take the flag. I was so close and yet, the fight managed to completely avert my attention. And I chose to do it differently right then.

It took a single glance to change my mind, and a finger to pull the trigger.

✖︎︎●✖︎

"Say," I recalled approaching him before the games began, bringing along the spray paint for the camouflage design Sugaya and I were painting on the others.

"You were so mad when I told you I won't take surgery. You even told me to do it even if it had a 5% chance of success. I'm sure you care about Korosensei too so what made this different?".

"Hm. Just because." Karma answered.

As if, I scoffed mentally. He wasn't childish enough to get worked up over something petty.

I gave him an unconvinced look waiting for him to elaborate on it.

"Seeing to everyone's efforts and where we've gotten so far, I thought it's only right to kill the octopus. I don't want Nagisa to think everything would go his way" he told me.

'Nagisa's such a close friend of yours though' I wanted to say but instead shook my head and ignored it. He probably has a number of reasons after all.

"I get it. Well, I'm on your side" I gave him a cheeky grin, only to get my cheek pinched. "We're a team, right?".

"That hurt, bastard!" I shot, feeling my cheek sting.

He ignored my comment and ruffled my hair instead, saying, "I'm counting on you, Iroha".

"I swear" I stuck my tongue out, "Hold still or I won't hesitate to paint on your face, Karma".

— — — — —