2. Sorting

None of the first years had imagined such a strange and splendid place

The great hall was lit by thousands of candles floating in mid air over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering plaits and goblets of gold. At the very top of the hall another long table lay, where the teachers sat and made idle chatter. Professor CL led the first years up there, so they came to halt in a line facing the other students.

The head master stood up and made his way around the first years and up to the pedestal  where he waited to deliver his speech.

"Welcome students! Old and New to Hogwarts!"  

The head masters voice was clear and dignified although it had kind undertones and a sense of magic to it."I am the head master of Hogwarts, Professor Daniel Armand Lee, but please address me as Professor Tablo. As today is the first day of the new year here at Hogwarts we will of course be starting off with the Sorting Ceremony."

The great hall burst into cheers as the head master uttered those words, Gryffindors, Slytherins, Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws alike cheered at the top of their voices eager to meet the newest additions to their houses.

The head master chuckled, the twinkle in his eye growing even brighter, "I can see you are all very exited, so without further ado I present to you all..."

The great hall stayed silent, excitement and nervousness taking over the various students sentences.

"The sorting hat!"

The great hall burst into cheers even louder than the ones before as Professor CL silently placed a four legged wooden stool in front of the first years. On top of it she placed a pointed wizards hat, the hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty. Something no parent would want placed on their child's head.

Maybe they had to try and get a rabbit out of it, at least that's what Jeon Jungkook thought as he  stood in the line of first years - noticing that everyone in the hall was now staring at the hat, he stared at it too. For a few seconds there was complete silence.

Then the hat twitched.

A rip near the brim of the hat opened up wide like a mouth - and the hat began to sing:

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;