Chapter 8- Ashton

**Ashton's POV**

"Cassandra, we need to talk." I tell her as soon as her beautiful faces comes out of the preschool classroom.

Today's the kids last day of preschool and we took the day off from work. They have one year left of preschool left and then their going to kindergarten. I swear just yesterday I was changing Garrett's diaper.

Okay, maybe I wasn't the one changing the diapers in the beginning. When Garrett turned around eight months is when I started. Let's just say that their were a lot of diapers put on wrong and Garrett wasn't my biggest fan. In fact, he peed in my mouth at least eight times. If that doesn't show someone that their presence makes you want to murder a small animal, I don't know what does. It's as if I can still taste the pee.

My poor neighbour was the one who finally had to teach me how to do it. She was a "single" mother with five kids ("single" because her husband was never around). For the four months after I started changing Garrett he learned to love our neighbour. He cried when she moved, it was the most traumatic event in his life that he actually remembers. He still likes to remind me of that and it's not something a four year old should be reminding you of.

"Ash, what the hell do you want?" Cassandra asks, fury in her eyes. She cussed, I must've done something really bad.

Cassandra hasn't cussed since I've known her. She was the one who got me to stop, well almost stop. She said if I was going to be a responsible parent I shouldn't cuss at all. Here she is going against everything she's said. I feel like I should make some comment about it, but I don't want her to get even angrier at me. I want to solve whatever's going on between us and go back to the way we were, somewhat talking.

"I don't get it Cass. We were fine." She stiffens up and turns to leave, but I stop her. I'm not letting her get away this easy. I corner her I so she can't go back into the classroom. I'm going to find out what happened if it kills me. "Tell me what happened. I'm upset that we're not in the same place we were three months ago." I put my arm up on the edge of the door to work as a blockade, no ones getting in or out.

I swear she looks like she's about to scream rape. I'm not even touching her, I just want a freaking answer. She's being too defensive and I don't know anything. I'm confused and my head is absolutely spinning because it's so filled with rage and anger. I just want her to come out and tell me straight on what the problem is. I actually want to try and fix it, unlike her who's being stubborn.

"You got to close and tried to be my "superman" you made me feel like a joke. Your an idiot sometimes you know. Take other peoples feelings into account, your self centred. Now leave me alone and let me go back into the classroom." She says not even sounding mad, more annoyed. It's just because her reasons are crap and she knows that. She wouldn't be this annoyed if she had a genuine reason for being mad at me.

"I'm not self centred, not one bit." She laughs at this, but I keep on going just to prove that I'm not. "If I was self centred I would've taken the Houston Chronicle up on their job opportunity. They've tried to pick me up five times for twice the money I'm getting payed now." Her eyes bulge at this, exactly what I expected. Now I just need to finish her off, nice and easy. "I stayed here for you. I could've been rich and lived in a nice house, but I stayed. If that's self centred, your delusional."

Hook, line, and sinker. I got her here, I just told her something big. I could make more money than she makes in a month in one week and she has a bonus. I guess that proves that I do love her, even if I hate myself for it now. I could be living a life I dreamed of as a kid. I can guarantee you I did not plan on growing up surround by snow while working at a run down "newspaper" place. I can also promise that I never though I'd make it famous for writing articles proving where politicians were wrong.

I lived in Australia for peats sake! I think I wanted to be a guitarist or a tour guide something where I'd actually make a lot of money. I don't think I ever planed on working two jobs and raising a child at twenty seven. No twelve year old boy aspires to that, most still want to be Superman, ironically.

Personally, I always preferred Batman. Maybe I feel pity for the poor guy for not having parents or something. I just never was a fan of Superman, he just never grew on me. I betcha five dollars that it was because of the underwear. I never found that attractive like all the girls did. Then again, I am a guy. I laughed at the end of The Notebook while my girlfriend at the time was bawling her eyes out.

"I uh...don't know what to say Ashton." God I want to kiss her right now. I just want to pull her into my arms and have a passionate make out session right in the middle of this hall. "I still think you mocked me for waiting for "superman". I know I'm talking to angles and counting the stars, but I'm trying to find some love."

I want to tell her that I love her, but that would be more inappropriate than kissing her right now. If I kissed her I could run afterwards, but I can't run from telling her I love her. That something I have to save foe when the times right and it's not right now.

"You know what, believe what you want. I'm going to be over here waiting for my Lois Lane." She looks like she's about to burst, but I want to exit with style. "If you want, you can thank me later for both mine and your bonuses. I'll just be sitting around, I don't know, making wishes on passing cars! Remember who truly loves you Cassandra."

I just head back inside the classroom and realise what I said. What the hell did I just do?! I thought I wasn't going to tell her I loved her! I probably look like a complete fool right now that she's going to hate even more. Or she may love that I helped her heal even more by showing her what she was too blind to see.

It could be another learning experience! I said I wanted to heal her and right now I showed her I do care. I proved I'm not just some guy that laughed during a chick flick and may have cried during the Hunger Games when Rue died. In my defence that was a very sad moment in history. I could feel Katniss's pain. She really cared for Rue and there was nothing she could do to save her, she was gone. I actually may start crying now, watching that scene was a very emotional point in my life.

Well that was off topic, let's get back to the point, shall we? I showed to her, straight out that I care about her and that I love her. If she's going to just hate me, then it's on her and she may never find someone who loves her again.

I'm only speaking the truth. Most guys don't falling love with single mothers waiting for a fictional character to come and save her from her troubles. That somewhat a turn off to the average human being. I love her with her flaws and all and she's going to have to accept me as her "superman" somehow. There's going to be other people who don't accept her for who she is and straight out hate her.

"Ashton, now we need to talk in the hall." She growls, popping her head into the classroom. At least we're somewhat talking, it's better than nothing.

I close the door behind me, pressing my back up against it in a desperate attempt to look cool. I wait for her to start talking, but she doesn't. Instead, she slaps me clear across the face, leaving my cheek stinging. Damn that girl has a strong slap, I need to watch out for those in the future or I could loose a few teeth.

I want to question her for slapping me but I guess I deserve it. This also proves which way she took my little speech from earlier.

"Your such an idiot. Now, sit down and we need to have a very serious conversation."

_____________________

I have no words.

NU: Tuesday

Love you guys

-V