Chapter 14- Both

**Ashton's POV**

I'm sat here at my more boring of the two jobs I work at. I got here around five o clock, the same time Cassandra would've went into the office if she went, and now it's seven. All we have to do is wait for a call.

I work as a firefighter and as long as I've worked here we haven't got a call. Sure, they were burning stuff today but that doesn't mean they need firefighters to take out the fire. So basically I'm just paid to sit here and be on call if I have to.

Speak of the devil, the alarm sounds, our first assignment. I've been waiting for this moment since I started the job.

I follow the other firefighters down the pole and put on my gear, my adrenaline pumping. I wonder where the fire is, I bet they'll tell us when we get in the truck, oh this is going to be great.

I get in the truck behind all of the other men and we get in our positions. We pull out of the station, our sirens wailing and we zoom down the street. As we start seeing smoke in the distance I recognise the buildings.

No, it can't be there, the mere thought of that makes me sick to my stomach. Even if it is there she better be safe. There's no way she'd be able to take the smoke! Her asthma would kick in and I'm almost positive she doesn't keep an inhaler with her. Oh please god don't let it be the office!

"We're going to 274 Smith's Street. They're pretty sure everyone is out of the building they just need us to take out the fire, get prepared boys." The head firefighter says over the intercom.

It's the office. I hope they know she went there, she had to be there. They said they think everyone outside, I bet she's out there perfectly safe.

As we rear the corner I see the burning building and the people outside. I look at the cars first and verify that she is in fact here, but as I look at the people I don't see her. She must still be inside.

We hop out of the truck and I start frantically yelling, "THERES SOMEONE INSIDE SHE HAS ASTHMA IM GOING TO GET HER!" That earns me some looks like I'm crazy but I don't care, I need to save her.

I push open the glass doors and scan for her small body. There's so much smoke and already accumulated fire that it makes it almost impossible to see her. I have to turn on the night vision on my goggles just to see the outline of her. From the looks of it the roof hasn't caved in by her so there's still the chance that she's alive.

I run through the flames, silently thanking whoever created these flame proof clothes. I dodge the falling derbies and run straight to her. She's coughing and obviously having a hard time breathing.

Without a second though I take off me jacket and wrap it around he, leaving the upper half of me completely exposed. I don't care, she needs this more than me. I pick her up in my arms, carrying her bridal style. I need to get both of us out of here before the whole building collapses.

I sprint, not even thinking to look for falling derbies. Luckily if any hit her that jacket will protect her and she won't be hurt. I just keep running, realising that if anyone gets hurt it's going to be me. Sadly, I was too late on that thought.

As piece of wood falls from the celling and hits me smack dab on my right shoulder. I hear a crack and feel a tingling, but the adrenaline is keeping me from feeling any real pain. She's fine and it would hurt me a lot more if I knew that I had hurt her. The only problem will be her lungs, but the paramedics will help that.

I push through the double doors on last time and get us both outside. Behind us the building starts collapsing on the inside, we made it just in time. I saved her, I did it she didn't die! She's alive!

She keeps coughing but among the coughs I hear one faint word, "Superman." She actually said it, I'm her superman! This is what I've wanted for so long! I could kiss her right now! Crap! I need to get her to the ambulance.

"SOMEONE HELP HER SHE NEEDS MEDICAL ATTENTION!" I yell getting the paramedics attention. Two of them run over with a gurney and take her coughing body from my hands. I try to remove my hat so she could actually see it was me, but my right arm does not permit it. Damn it I forgot about that.

"Sir, you need someone to look at that shoulder. We'll take you with her if you don't mind." The younger of the two paramedics tells me and I just nod following them. I'm still in shock, I've actually become her superman.

**Cassandra's POV**

I see blackness around me and hear an annoying beep. Where am I?

I open my eyes and all the memories of last night come back to me. The fire, not being able to breath, and the man who saved me. Last night I met my superman and now he's not even here.

I feel for my surroundings and realise I'm in a hospital bed and I have an oxygen mask on. I remove it and look over to the chairs in the far corner where three bodies lay Mackenzie, Ashton, and Garrett. They're all fast asleep, god I bet they've been here for hours waiting for me to wake up.

I clear my throat which ends up getting Mackenzie's attention. She wakes up and runs over to me screaming, "MOMMY!" He screaming wakes up the other two and as much as I want to focus on all of them Mackenzie jumped on my lap. "Mommy we were so scared! You were just laying there and Garrett and I had to wait with this nice man while we waited for his daddy. Did you know Mr. Ashton was the one who saved you? He got hurt too and they had to do this medical stuff on him. Oh mommy I'm so happy your okay!" She says, snuggling into my chest.

Ashton's the one who saved me? He's my superman! If only I had listened to him all along he had kept telling me this. He freaking saved me from a burning building, that's insane! I didn't think anyone would ever do that for me.

"Ash?" I whisper, looking him straight in the eyes. He turns and receives the top part of his shirt revealing a bandaged up shoulder, his battle scar. It really was him.

"Cass, I-" he starts but I cut him off.

"Just come here. You realise, Superman, if this were a movie it wouldn't end like this, left without a kiss."

I pull him in and crash my lips against his. We earn a chorus of ewws from Mackenzie and Garrett but I just keep kissing him. For the first time in years, I feel safe and like I'm with someone who actually cares.

____________________________

So it's finished. I don't like this version of it so the one shot version will be posted in about twenty minutes. (There will be lots of differences)

-Veronica