Look At Them

Kristen comes home from her showroom, kicks off her shoes and puts her purse away. She had a pounding headache and she was so grateful to be home. She shakes her hair down from the clip she had it in, as if to physically shake off the day. Work was so hectic. She checked her voicemails on her phone, pulled on her slippers and went into her large kitchen to make herself a cup of tea. A piece of mail was dropped through the slot in the door and she stepped away to retrieve it. She opened the door to thank the postman but there was no one around.

"Hmmm" said the slender blonde. In her hands was a large brownish-yellow file envelope. Before she could open it, her kettle sang on the stove and she brought the envelope with her, tucking it under her arm. She turns off the stove, poured the hot water in her mug and gently dropped a tea bag into it to steep. She turned her attention back to her mail. It was light, as if there was nothing in it. She opened it and three large photographs slid out onto the floor. "Ughh" she huffed, bending down to pick them up. Her eyes widened in shock, disgust soon followed. What was she seeing? Her eyes wandered across the first photograph, the second then the third. Her jaw set. She knew the subjects of the photographs well. Well, at least one of them. Unmistakably her husband, caught in a very compromising position with... "Stevie" she said aloud.

She tossed the pictures onto the counter, running her fingers through her hair. She sipped her tea, pacing the floor with her free arm crossed over her chest. How should she handle this? Should she say something, confront him? Her eyes went back to her counter. "What does he see in her?" she asks herself. She picks up the most graphic image in the bunch and stares at it. "What does she have that I don't?" What was under all that black chiffon, anyway? She stared at the womanly curve of the mistress's hips, her breasts, her long solid yet slender legs. Even in black and white, obviously added for dramatic effect, the other woman's long golden hair glowed. Her face was like a painting. "Of course he likes her, of course he loves her. Look at her."

Eventually she cannot look anymore. She puts the photos back in the envelope and takes them to her office, shoving them in the drawer of her desk. She catches a glimpse of herself in a long mirror, and moves back to stare at herself. "I'm young, I'm slim and I'm in good shape" She lifts her blouse to expose her flat stomach. "Why would he look any further?" She tossed her blouse back down in frustration, finger combing her own blonde hair. Sure it isn't as long as Stevie's but is it really any less pretty? No, she didn't think so. She wasn't as shapely as Stevie but she still had curves. Right?? Her skin was clear and bright, she had no visible signs of aging...but really, neither did Stevie. "I gave him three beautiful children! What did she do?" She scoffed. "What's so special about Stevie?!"

She pried herself away from the mirror, finishing her tea. She had to take action, she had to make a move. How dare he sleep around behind her back! If that wasn't bad enough, he slept with an ex. And it just had to be Stevie Nicks, of all people. They were never on friendly terms and now she had an even bigger grudge to hold. He had told her time and time again nothing was going on but now she had proof of his lies. Her head filled with a million thoughts. How long had it been going on? Was this the first time? Was it the hundredth, thousandth time? How many weeks, months, years? Why her? Why now? If he loved Stevie so much, why didn't he marry her instead? Was it Will? If she hadn't given him children, would have have left her long ago? Did Stevie turn him away and she was second best to his true love? The insecurity plagued her. She didn't want to come to terms with being runner up in Lindsey's eyes. "Fuck him!" she said, all the emotion in her heart spilling out in these two little words. Tears began to fall and she let them. She sat on her couch, head in hands. The crying didn't help her headache in the least. Even if she decided to take medicine, she would get no relief. Not now, not after what she had seen. She heard a car in the drive and she jumped up from her seat. The keys jingled in the lock, tumblers activated and he pushed his way through the door. He smiled and she went to him. He kissed her forehead as usual and wrapped her in a hug.

"I'm so happy to be home" he says. "Are we alone?" His tone was mischievous as he pressed his hips to hers and it angered her. She could smell Stevie's perfume on his clothes.

"Yeah, we're alone....but were you?" Kristen asked, pushing herself out of his arms.

"What?" Lindsey asked, his eyes displaying all of his shock. Was he even remorseful? It didn't seem like it. Maybe he liked the game. Maybe he liked stringing her along. "Kit, what are you talking about, baby?"

"Baby?" she repeated, her anger rising within. "Baby?! You have the balls to call me baby when you've been fucking Stevie behind my back?!"

"W-what??" Lindsey was stunned. How did she find out? Was it some innate feminine skill to sniff out another woman on her lover? Were women just naturally adept at sleuthing?

"Don't act so surprised, Lindsey." she says, storming off to retrieve the pictures from her desk. She came back to stand in front of him before he had even realized she left. He was in a daze. It didn't seem real. "Look at them, you asshole!" she screamed, tossing the images at him. They hit him in the chest and they fell at his feet. He didn't have to pick them up to realize what he was seeing. 'Not my best angle, but she looks great' he thought but quickly pushed that from his mind. "Stop admiring your whore!" she yelled. He had never seen her this way before. Usually she was very even-tempered; you could even call her laid back most of the time. He was caught red-handed. Should he beg for forgiveness or run? He looked at his wife who was clearly livid.

"Fuck..." he says, running his hand through his grey curls.

A/N: please excuse any mistakes. I hope this chapter wasn't too boring! Please let me know if I should continue. I have plenty of ideas left but I don't want to bore anyone. Thank you for reading, voting and commenting.