17. For the first time in three months.

Samaah's P.O.V

Days kept passing. My daily routine stayed the same. I would wake Arif up for Fajr every morning - that was the only interaction that I had with him, and that too, once I woke him up, he wouldn't say a word to me, except for the time when I cooked his favourite Italian dish for dinner. He didn't know I had made it, so when he said the food was good, I replied with a simple 'thanks' taking him by surprise. Then I would go off to university. When I got home, I would spend time with Samiha and my mother-in-law. I had taken the numbers of my sisters-in-law and I talked to them on the phone almost everyday. We had grown very close.

Three months after my marriage, I was sitting on mine and Arif's bed with my psychology textbook. I just finished my exams but since Samiha had taken her car to go and visit her old colleagues from work and my mother-in-law had gone to my father-in-law's company to help him, I had nothing else to do when I got back from university. As usual, Arif would spend his whole day idling around, hanging out with his friends, or going away to play rugby. He never, and when I say never, I mean never, did any work. He didn't help his father out at his company. He didn't do anything constructive apart from his obligatory religious acts and I was relieved that he was practicing at least.

"Hey," a voice made me jump, dropping my book. I looked up to see Arif leaning on the doorframe, and I would grudgingly admit that he looked gorgeous in his dark jeans and casual polo shirt.

"Uh, hi. You need anything?" I asked him. Why was he here now? I really don't want to talk to him, I thought to myself.

"Why do you assume that I need something?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, it's quite obvious. You never talk to me, even when I wake you up for Fajr. So it's a little strange that you suddenly decided to speak to me right now," I answered.

"Now, now. That's really bad that it's strange when I happen to talk to my wife," he said. I held back an eye-roll.

"Look, Arif, if you don't mind. I'm studying and if there's nothing you need, then please let me continue. My finals will be in two months and I need to graduate," I told him as politely as I could.

"Didn't you just finish your exams?" He asked.

"Yeah, I did. But my finals are yet to come in two months' time. So seriously, tell me what you want or please, let me study in peace," I said.

"Wow, I never knew you could be so serious. Your brother was saying you're funny and you make everyone laugh?" He said.

"You seem really chatty today, don't you? It's been three months since we got married and you finally decided to have a conversation with me?" I said, raising my eyebrows.

"Well, you could have initiated one," he replied.

"What makes you think I wanted to?" I replied.

"Wow, you're feisty!" He commented.

"Arif, just what do you want?" I asked him.

"Oh come on Samaah, I'm talking to my wife! Is it a must for me to want something?" He said, rolling his eyes.

"Of course. Considering that this is the first time you're talking to me properly. There must be a reason." I stated.

"Well, actually, there is a reason." He said.

"I knew it. Why else would you want to speak to me?" I answered.

"Anyway, actually, I'm pretty bored right now. My friends just left. Asif has gone to play football. For some reason, whenever there is nothing for me to do, I go to the backyard to practice archery." He said.