36. The girls who always put others before themselves.

HABIB'S P.O.V

I got back to the hospital after praying my Asr salaah only to find Naila crying in Saamih's arms. For the first time in my whole life, I feared my son's reaction towards me. I knew what his sisters were to him. They meant the world to him. The situation was such that for the first time since Saamih was about 10 years old, I saw him cry today. Unable to hold back my own tears for my daughters, I broke down again.

Mr. and Mrs. Hamid noticed my presence and I quickly wiped my eyes.

"Habib, please sit down. Don't worry, our prayers are with your daughters. They are not just our daughters-in-law, they are our princesses," Mr. Hamid said. His words made me smile, but not really a genuine one. Although, I was glad that they were praying for my daughters because frankly, all that could save one of my daughters from death was prayers.

Saamih heard Mr. Hamid talking to me, and he got up after telling mum to calm down. He walked towards me with bloodshot eyes. My son, who would always have a smile etched on his handsome face, or would always be laughing looked completely broken, and besides the pain I felt regarding my daughters, seeing him like this just broke me further.

I thought that he was going to come up to me and tell me the words I've been repeating to myself, about it being my fault and me being the one to blame, but he didn't. He probably could tell that I was as hurt as he was.

"Dad, Samiha!" He said, and burst into fresh tears. "My munchkin! They're saying her survival chances are very low!"

I calmed him down, although I knew I also needed to be calmed down.

"How did you know it's Samiha?" I asked, taking a deep breath.

"Because as soon as I arrived here, they took Samaah out of the operation theatre on a stretcher. Unaware of all that had happened before I got here, I asked the doctor about everything. He told me he had managed to save the patient on the stretcher, which was Samaah, but she had slipped into a coma. And she might wake up with post-traumatic amnesia. When I asked about the second patient, which would be Samiha, he told me that they're trying their best, but there is no guarantee of her survival. She took most of the impact of the crash," he explained.

Samiha! My Samiha! May they be able to save her, Ya Allah!, I prayed silently.

"Where are Asif and Arif, Saamih?" I asked. One would think that they would be present when their wives were here.

"They had gone to the police to submit the recordings in order to get that ex-M.D arrested," he answered.

"Does Asiyah know about all this?" I asked, worried that my daughter-in-law would be stressed if she didn't know our whereabouts.

"I called her to inform her. She wanted to come, so she told me she'll get her brothers to pick her up and bring her here, and that way, she can even inform them of what happened to the girls," Saamih replied.

I nodded. The reality that Samiha was fighting for her life inside that theatre was still dawning on me, and I kept muttering prayers continuously because I knew that was all that could work.

I couldn't understand how everything just happened! When I thought about how they could warn me instead of taking my car and risking their lives, it occurred to me that they must've considered it but wouldn't have found it possible. They must've known I was at a meeting with Yan present there so it wouldn't have been possible for them to warn me in person. They must've seen that I left my phone in the office so it wouldn't have been possible for them to inform me. They wouldn't have been sure how long the meeting would be so they couldn't wait at the office because, as Mr. Hamid told me that Saamih told him, they wanted to meet up with Saamih right away to tell him about the evidence they had got their hands on, and if they left, I would have taken the car. So they did all that they did because they desperately needed to save my life, even if it meant if it would risk their own life.