Columbus, Ohio

Josh is staring into my eyes. I don't feel the urge to leave anymore. I want to stay. And it's scaring me.

I break the eye contact and look down at my shoes.

I didn't know what to think in this state of being. Should I stay or should I go?

Then I got a wonderful idea. I haven't had one in a long time, until now.

I raised my head slowly to look into his eyes.

"Hey." I said. Josh immediately smiled. "Hello." He responded.

I closed my eyes and opened them again. "Wanna do something exciting?"

Josh's eyes were clear. Clearer than usual. It's hard to realize that sometimes with someone. You have to look hard and focus.

"How exciting?" He asked. "Mind blowing." I responded. His face lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Let's do it." I smiled bigger than I have in the past few months. "Sick." I said.

I grabbed my phone and dialed Tyler's number. It rang three times and he answered. "Hey... Ruby. What's up?" He asked.

I automatically realized that I haven't spoken to Tyler at all. I freaked out and became anxious.

I yanked the phone away from my ear and pressed the end call button.

"What's wrong, B?" Josh asked a little worried.

"Nothing. But... could you call Tyler?" I asked a little more calmly.

"Yeah, sure. What do you want me to say?" He asked while dialing his number by memory.

"Tell him to drive to your house and bring a camera." I said. Josh nodded without hesitation. "Got it!"

I smiled at how josh understood things so easily. And even if he doesn't quite understand it, he'll try his hardest to.

I overheard Josh's conversation with Tyler.

"We're doing something exciting," he said trying to convince Tyler. "It's doesn't matter if it's almost night time. Just bring a camera and your car," he said. "Okay, sick. See you later. Bye." He ended the call.

"Tyler will be here in five minutes." I smiled and stood up. I grabbed my bag and headed towards the trapdoor.

Josh just looked at me confused. "Well... are you coming?" I asked. Josh smiled and leaped down the ladder right behind me.

"What exactly are we doing?" Josh asked. "Not important" I said while typing away locations on my phone.

"But you just moved here. How will you know where everything is?" Josh seemed curious.

"Google maps." He sighed. "But how about-" I sighed and put my arms on Josh's shoulders.

"Josh, do you trust me?" His eyes widened. "I've known you for a little bit." He said. I sighed and looked down, thinking that josh would regret doing this. "But I trust you." He added.

I looked up and smiled at him. "Good. Now no more questions. I hate that." I said bringing my attention back to my phone.

"Note taken." Josh tied his shoe as we waited for Tyler.

We soon heard a car horn honking rapidly, knowing it's Tyler. We went to leave Josh's backyard, but I couldn't seem to find the fence door.

So, being the slightly dumb person I am, I decide to jump the fence. Once I jump down from my struggle, josh opens the gate that was hidden by some shrubs.

I looked at him obviously embarrassed. "You are definitely something else." I flashed a smile and I swear I could see the light behind his eyes.

"Oh my gosh, guys! Stop staring at each other! You're both pretty now get in the car!" Tyler yelled

•-•

"You can talk to Tyler. He's our friend." Josh whispered to me before we got into Tyler's  car.

I sat in the middle backseat while josh sat in the front. "Okay, kids. Where does this adventure start?" Tyler asked looking at josh. Josh looked at me. Tyler followed and I got that bad feeling in my chest again.

You can talk to Tyler. He's our friend

I can see you... and that's a good thing. You can see me too

Don't be afraid of the eyes

"Target." I said. Josh looked at Tyler and vice versa. "We should go to target first." I said more clearly.

Tyler looked back at me and smiled. "Target it is." Tyler's warm smile and bright eyes made me feel welcome.

Josh smiled at me and I smiled at josh. He gave me a thumbs up and turned back around.

I sat back and exhaled. I scooted over to the window seat and looked at the street lamps and the night sky.

"How about some music?" Josh asked putting in one of the old cd's Tyler keeps in his car.

I'm not sure who it was, but I liked them very much. It had a rock sound to it.

"I'm going to row down the windows. It's a good night." Tyler said.

I sat there with my head on my hands as my arms rested in the open car window. I let the wind blow through my hair.

I looked at the rear view mirror and Tyler smiled at me. I smiled back at Tyler. I closed my eyes and felt the feeling. I'm not sure what the feeling was, but it was there.

And that was the first time I felt content with Columbus, Ohio