Yellow

We sat on the curb of the Quick Trip. It was around midnight and the sky looked beautiful.

"Look, its the Big Dipper." I said pointing up. Tyler and Josh looked up amazed.

"Man, I almost forgot what the stars look like." Josh said jokingly.

"I never look up anymore..." Tyler said dropping his head and taking a big gulp from his berrylicious slurpee.

"Why not? The sky is beautiful." I said. "It's not that.." He replied. "Then what is it?" Josh nudged my knee and gave me a look that read stop.

I didn't know what I did. I didn't want to know. Tyler seemed hurt. He was quiet. Very unlikely of him.

"I never look up anymore because I might get a raindrop in my eye," Tyler said being sarcastic, "And heaven forbid they see me cry. Us as humans go by certain limitations and we all fall in line until we're pushed to the edge. And we're forced to keep smiles and be happy and if they see you frown, you'll never hear the end of it."

He said throwing his almost empty cup onto the parking lot. I didn't expect this from Tyler. He put his head in his hands and exhaled.

I looked at josh and he looked sad, yet not phased. I had no idea I triggered Tyler in someway. Please, oh please take me back in time.

"I have to piss." Tyler said getting up, obviously with gleaming eyes. He walked past us and into the restroom.

Now it was only josh and I. "I'm so sorry. I-I don't know what that was. I'm sorry." I said rambling.

"It's okay. It's not your fault. He gets like this at night." He said sympathetically.

"Is he okay? What's wrong with him? What was he talking about?" I asked carefully. Josh sighed.

"He's... He's depressed. Or at least I think. He denies it, but this isn't him. He wasn't like this a year ago," Josh said, "His parents buckle down on him. They need him to get a basketball scholarship, but he doesn't even know if that's what he wants. And he's tried talking to them about it, but they refuse to listen. They all hear, but they don't listen. No one does." Josh said obviously worried about his best friend.

I am surprised. Tyler seems like the life of the party. I never knew someone so bright could have a dark spot.

"I'm ruining this night for you and Tyler. I'm sorry. Maybe we shouldn't do this again." I said freaking out. I caused an anxiety attack and triggered depressed thoughts.

"B, it's okay. This is normal. Well, for us at least. We're still healing. I guess you can say we're broken people for many reasons." Josh said.

"You're not the only ones." I said quietly. Josh didn't hear clearly.

"What was that?" He said. "Nothing. I just said we should go home." I lied.

I turned around and saw Tyler heading this way. I looked away quickly and tried not to make it obvious.

"Hey, ty. It's getting late. I think we should head home." Josh said patting his shoulder.

Tyler nodded with a straight expression. "I suppose so. I already know I'm grounded." He said.

"Same here. My folks will flip." Josh said. We all shared a laugh and it felt normal.

"What about you, Ru?" Tyler asked making a new nickname.

"I'm not sure- oh shit." I said mentally hitting my head. "I was supposed to be home for dinner and my phone died." I said.

Tyler and josh just looked at each other. "Can I use one of your phones?" I asked.

"Sure." Josh said checking his pockets.

"Mines dead too. Doesn't matter. It'll be taken away when I get home anyways." He shrugged.

"Yeah and there's not service out here." Tyler said. "I barely have one bar." He said.

"Well, lets just get home." I said.

We got in the car and drove down the highway. When worse comes to worse, there's no getting out of it, so might as well take our time.

"I'm going to change the music to this cassette." Josh said.

"What is it?" Tyler asked. "I don't know. Some music burned onto a cassette?" As soon as I heard the first song, I fell in love.

"I love this song. Definitely one of my favorites of all time." I said.

"What song is this again?" Tyler asked aloud.

"Yellow by Coldplay." I said right off the bat while looking out the window.

"Never heard of it." Josh said. "Just sit back and listen, JD." I said doing so myself.

I couldn't help but fall in love with everything in my surroundings. The way the song matched my mood perfectly and how the street lights danced by and shined in the air. This was why I need this song in my life.

•-•

"Thanks so much guys. I guess I'll see you Monday." I said as I left the car and walked into the dark home, waiting for the wrath of my mother.

I tried to be as quiet as possible. Already, the lights turn on.

"Coming home at 1 am? This is new. Care to explain?" She said being as sassy as ever.

"I was making memories with my friends. Lost track of time, but had the best night for the first time in Columbus." I said being sincere.

"That's sweet, honey. It really is, but you're still grounded." She said.

"And I understand. May I go to bed?" I asked. She nodded.

"You're lucky I went to Josh's house and asked his mother where you were before I called the cops." She said.

"I appreciate it, mom. I really do. Thank you, I love you." I said as I kissed her cheek and headed upstairs to my room.

I took the Polaroids out of my back pocket and took the picture of josh, Tyler, and I and labeled it 'Yellow'.

I put the Polaroids in a box under my bed and hung 'Yellow' on my mirror.

Of course, I couldn't forget, I sent the song link to josh before he got his phone taken away.