T W O

She wondered under the glow of the yellow street lamps, hands tucked in her jacket pockets. Her interview was a few hours ago, but she didn't want to go home to her lonely, cold apartment.

The wind blew softly causing goosebumps to raise on her pale skin, and her stomach growled with hunger, angry at her for not eating all day when there was a nice loaf of bread and peanut butter at home.

She desperately hoped she got the job today, she needed it. For one, she needed some food, and two she needed time away from her head.

The sky darkened with clouds, and rain slowly pitter-pattered onto the concrete.  She stopped, turning around to walk the long trek home.

"You're going to catch a cold," a voice said behind her. It was Four Eaton, wearing the same work clothes as earlier​ but now with a black trench coat and a black umbrella. "I can't have an employee of mine be known to wonder in the freezing rain in a dress. They would think that I didn't pay enough, or some bullshit like that."

Her eyebrows furrowed, and she shivered as she finally felt the cold that she had been ignoring all evening. "I-I'm sorry, Mr. Eaton, sir. I'm not so sure what you mean. I don't work for you."

"My secretary sent you an email that you got the job. Isn't that so, Ms. Prior?" He stepped closer to her, barely being able to hear her soft voice over the rush of the wind and rain.

"It might be sir, I just haven't been home this evening." She glanced down at her muddy shoes and frowned, embarrassed that she had been caught wondering the dark streets in the cold with no shame. Especially now that this man was her boss.

"You've been out here wondering since our interview at noon? It's nearly ten o'clock!" he exclaimed, stepping even closer to her so that she too was under the shelter of his umbrella. "Have you even eaten? Never mind that, we're leaving." He walked to his black car where the driver was waiting patiently under his own umbrella.

"Mr. Eaton, this isn't really necessary. I was just on my way home actually," she mumbled, peeking up at him through her lashes.

"At least allow me to take you home," he said looking down at her tiny frame. He found her absolutely endearing.

She didn't want him to see the dump she lived in. "No thank you, sir." Her nails turned grey with her anxiousness.

"I insist," his eyebrows furrowed as he saw her nails change. "Come on, let's get out of the rain," he placed his hand on the small of her back and guided her to the car. "Are you sure you don't want something to eat?" He looked at her drenched clothes and hair that dripped into his seats, but he couldn't find it in him to care.

"I'm getting your car wet," she whispered, cheeks turning red with even more embarrassment.

"If it damages I will just take it out if your paycheck." He wouldn't do such a thing, he didn't even care. He just had to keep up his facade.

"Yessir," she said, leaning back against the window, the sudden rush of heat and warmth of the car made her sleepy.

She told him where she lived and relished in the short lived luxury. It was all something that she shouldn't have done. She shouldn't have gotten in the car, and she shouldn't have gotten the job. He probably just wanted her for something that she would give no man.

"Why do your nails keep changing colors?" he asked curiously.

She shrugged, having planned for this, "Some new color changing nail polish I think, Mr. Eaton. It works a little bit, I guess. Typically it's the same three colors," she rambled, giving him a small smile.

"Okay," he shook his head, not thinking the quiet girl could talk so much, or so fast.