Chapter 4

Nico had only two more hours before classes. He had just relaxed back in his room when he heard the door open and close. Oh, shoot, he thought. He decided it was only right to go down and introduce himself, even though it was the last thing he wanted to to. Ah well.  It may have been the right thing, but he still wasn't going to do it.  He lay back on his bed and took his earbuds out.

The door slammed shut behind the blonde haired boy.  He blew a curl out of his face and frowned. His note was gone, so whoever would be living with him for the next four years had arrived.  He decided to go up and check. One two three.. twenty steps to his room.  8 more from his to his flat mates.  He knocked. Three sharp knocks. The door didn't open.  He turned the knob slowly, and swung the door open.  A pale skinned, black haired boy lay on the bed with earbuds in. No way. It couldn't be.. could it? The boy from the beach? The boy had obviously heard him open the door, because he turned towards him and took out his earbuds. 
"Well, if you're going to come in, might as well do it now."
Will took a cautious step inside and looked around.  The room was black with silver designs on it.  There were two walls left blank- probably to fill in later on.  There were books- lots of books- and a record player.  All in all, it was pretty cool.  He turned back to the boy on the bed, who had stood up.
"Um, I'm Will. Will Solace."
"I know."
"And you are..?"
"Nico Di Angelo." Jeez. This boy seemed like he had more problems than he did. 
"Nice to meet you." Nico simply shrugged.
"Let's settle a few things, shall we? I have classes in the afternoon till night, so I'm going to need to study in the mornings.  I can cook, clean, whatever.  Just don't bother me."
"You.. don't want me around. Point taken." Will was used to the feeling, but somehow he had been hoping that his flat mate might have been different. He was so stupid for hoping. Will backed out of the room and went back to his own. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 8 steps back to his room, the only place he would be from now on. 

Nico guessed he was a bit harsh on the boy, but when he saw him the only thing he thought was intruder, and shoved him away. In any case, if he had let him get close to him, Nico only would've hurt him. They made a system for the next few days- Nico made breakfast for both of them, then lunch would wait in the fridge for Will and he would go to class.  Nico would return home to dinner on the table and then would retreat into his room.  He almost never saw Will, and he liked it that way. When he did see him, he snapped.  The 18 year old was still sour about moving out, and living with a dope like him just made it worse. 
"Hey." Will passed Nico in the living room, head down.  Nico shot him a glare, and Will shrunk back. And that's how it was for the next two weeks, until something happened.

Will kept his lips sealed as he came home that day.  He ducked his head as he passed Nico, and closed the door to his room.  He leaned back and realized that the silence between them was worse than his parents fights.  He opened his door again and left to face Nico. 
"Hi." He leaned on the kitchen counter and took a breath.
"What do you want?"  And with those four words, Will snapped.
"Listen. All I ever am to you is nice.  Do you think I expect a smile and a hug every time I see you? No! But the least you could do is try.  I don't know what you've been through to make you act this way towards me, but I know what I've been through.  It isn't easy watching your brother die, then having to stand by as your sister is sent away.  And to top it off, your mom dies, your dad's an abusive drunk, and you're  bullied all through school by idiots with bigger muscles than brains.  This was supposed to be a new, refreshing environment for me, and it turns out the silence is worse than the yelling I have to put up with! So thanks a lot, Nico.  Have fun in college."  He took it a breath, half relieved, half terrified what he'd done.  He brushed his hair from his eyes and stared at the floor. Nico was silent. When he glanced up, Nico was staring at him, eyes wide.  A smile played on his lips.  Nico stood and started walking towards the back door.  When he reached it, he turned around and looked at Will.
"Well? Are you coming?"