Chapter 13

Hazel was coming to visit today.  And Nico couldn't wait.  Will loved seeing that constant smile on him, he was almost never brooding over the past few days.  Will flipped through his book. 

"Solace!" Nico called from the kitchen.

"Hm?"

"Change of plans, Hazel's ride couldn't make it, I have to go pick her up.  I'll probably be back tonight.  Ok?"  Nico poked his head into the room, and Will nodded. 

"Kay. See you." He glanced back at the book. The door slammed shut, and he knew Nico was gone. 

Nico hummed as he drove back "home", to the place where he grew up.  It was strange- it had only been a few months, but Nico already thought of the flat as home, and had almost forgotten his old house. He turned the wheel, having only been gone for about an hour. Will was probably studying, then he would go right to sleep and wake up early tomorrow morning. Nico smiled. It was nice to have an unproblematic friend. Like, sure, they both had their moments, but he didn't hate Will and he certainly didn't like him, so having him as a best friend was very convenient. He turned the wheel again, lost in thought. His phone buzzed- Will had texted. He looked down.
Hey. Just letting you know that I'll probably be asleep when you come home. Drive safe!
SMASH! What?! Nico's car careened down the highway, skidding and sliding. He could see a truck also sliding, but it straightened out and drove away. Nico looked around. The car didn't stop moving, and Nico's phone had hit the dashboard on impact, so the screen was shattered and frozen on Wills text. The car smashed into the rail and flipped. Nico screamed, jerking forwards and smashing against the glass.
He didn't remember anything else after that.