Chapter 14

Nico woke up and it hurt to breathe.  He coughed, hacking until he ran out of breath, and looked around. He was lying in what looked like a hospital room, with wires and tubes connected all over his body. He heard the steady beeps of the machine next to him. He groaned.

Will was getting kind of worried. He hadn't gotten a text back from Nico, and it had been hours. He texted again.

Something buzzed next to Nico.
Hey. You didn't respond- you ok? When are you coming home with Hazel?
Will had texted. He tried to take his phone from the side table, but winced as pain blasted through his shoulder. What had happened? As if on cue, a nurse entered the room quietly.
"Nico?"
"Hm?" He hummed, his throat sore.
"Hi. I'm glad your awake. I'm your nurse, Kari. Do you have any idea what happened?" He shook his head. She took a deep breath. "You were found knocked out in your car on the highway. You had glass deeply embedded in your head, shoulder, and stomach. Your legs were crushed by the car door, but they will heal eventually, don't worry." That explained the pain. "You were brought here with your phone. It's only been a few hours, I'm surprised your up so early." He nodded.
"Can I- can I text my friend?" He whispered. She nodded and picked up the phone. He dictated to her-
Hey Will. I got into a car crash on the way. I don't remember much, but now I'm at the hospital. The nurse told me I had glass deeply imbedded in me and my legs were crushed by the car. Sorry, but I don't think I can get Hazel. Can you text her for me? Thanks. Oh, and don't worry about me. I'll be okay.
The nurse pressed send. Nico didn't get a response, though it said he had read it.
He watched the sun sink further out the window. And further, and further. He was just drifting off, sucking through his teeth as pain shot through his body. The door shot open and someone, breathing heavily, stumbled in and ran to his side. Will clutched his hand.
"Nico, oh, Nico Nico Nico, I came as soon as I read your text!! I'm so sorry! It's all my fault, I'm so sorry. I'm sorry." He breathed, crying. Nico weakly smiled.
"No, Will. How is it your fault? It's ok, it's not your fault, I'm ok, I'm fine." He tried to soothe him, but broke into wheezes. Will looked at him, tears streaming down his face.
"No, it's my fault. I texted you. I put you in danger. I'm sorry. You have to get better. You have to. For me." He put his head down on Nico's hand, and his heart skipped a beat. Why?? It was probably because he was hurt. Nico grimaced, raising both his arms and pulling Will in for a hug. Will melted into it, muttering how sorry he was, and how stupid he was and how it should have been him, not Nico. Nico clutched him for his life, noticing how Wills warmth seemed to surge through him and warm him up. He smiled, despite the pain. Then he laughed.
"I'm alive, Will. I'm okay." He laughed again. Will smiled through his tears and Nico wiped them off his face. Then they were both laughing, not knowing why. Nico tried to sit up, but he yelped quietly as the weight put on his legs made sharp pain shoot up.
"Oh, oh." Will propped Nico up. They talked all night, even after visiting hours were over, and then they just sat in silence and enjoyed each other's company. The sun rose to both boys softly snoring, Nicos head lolled back and Wills was tucked under his arms on the bed. Nico's eyes fluttered open. He took one look at Will, exhausted and sleeping half on the bed, smiled, and went back to sleep.