Never Let Them Take You Alive

Gathering Intel on the S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W/ Unit has for the last few months given us a lot of knowledge on what they know about us. They know about the Killjoys and a few individuals, including my team, Luke, Melanie, and a few other.s Basically, those that were at the facility last time are known. Not our real names or our face but our silhouette and our code name. They don't know about Vampire Money but they do know Kobra Kid, which I don't understand how. Mikey wasn't there with us and it makes no sense. A week ago, we grabbed a Draculoid and sent Helena in the facility as the Drac and see what's going on inside. We thought we lost her because she was in there for two days without making contact. She came out finding they are planning something and have a massive armory. The Unit seriously wants to bring down the Killjoys.

Mid-March, the air has a cooling breeze. The patrols keep coming near us so we had to drive significantly farther away from the Unit than we normally do. We pushed back all the way to Zone 16. It's quite nice to hear, quiet, little more vegetation than usual. I walk over to an isolated tree and sit down in the shade enjoying the warming sun slowly putting me to sleep. I'm so tired. When night falls, I only become more alert but when day breaks, I'm also ready to move about. I'm constantly worried I'll turn on my side at night and find Korse peering through a window. Sleep is a rarity and watching the sun rise becomes part of my daily schedule. It's the time between evening and night that I can find peace to drift off. It's such a calming time. The others know that I've become something along the lines of an insomniac but I don't think they know how much. I'm sure Frank can tell but then again, he may not. The lack of sleep puts me on edge and I'm more paranoid than usual. The last 3 months, running on 4 hours of sleep takes its toll.
The sleepy sun tires me and I lean my head against the tree. I think my eyes are open but I snap every now and realize they were in fact closed. I coax myself into relaxing. My team isn't going to head out. We've done what we could for the day, we got supplies for tomorrow. My blaster is in my holster and my mask is already on my face. If danger came, I would be ready. Korse could come through and kill them without giving any warning. By the time I open my eyes, he would have killed everyone. But there's 8 of us and we would be able to know if there was someone approaching. Besides, what if I really need to be in combat later? I'll have to be focused. It's fine now. If the others need me, they would get me.
I convince myself to stop fighting sleep and relax. Drifting off, I give a small jump when someone holds my shoulders. "Shh, it's okay," Frank hushes. He pulls me on his lap and rests my head on his chest. "You're safe now; it's okay. Go to sleep, Gee." I listen to him.

In a state of confusion, I bolt up. The sun has long set and it's dark. Frank grabs my wrist and holds my still. "You're okay. Don't worry, you're okay," he says calmly. We are still in the same spot from a few hours ago. I'm assuming Frank also fell asleep at some point too.
Looking around, I see Kemia the same place I parked her but the van is gone. "Frank, where are the others?" I ask.
"They went out investigating," he answers. Before I ask the next question, he answers it. "They're just trying to figure out what the Unit is planning. Something's going on and they are hoping to find out before it's started."
"Why didn't you wake me up?" I pull my hand free and stand up.
"Because you are exhausted. You are so damn tired that we have agreed unless it's life or death, we're not waking you up."
That catches me off guard. "What?" I mutter.
"You heard me," he says.
"You need to wake me up if we're going to do something. It's must job to help you guy out."
Frank stands up with me. "Gee, you're exhausted. You need sleep and you're not getting it."
"Well, that's my own fault. I'm not sleeping when I should so I need to sleep on my own time, not when you guys are doing things."
"You don't sleep at night, you can't. So you're up the whole time and exhausted but you're up. Consider yourself the night watch. You're up to while the rest of us sleep and you keep guard so when you need to sleep, we watch you and keep a look out." He gives a warm smile. I know he's just making things up to make me feel better but I got to give him credit because his reasons aren't wrong.
"So, what do we do now then?" I sigh.
"You go back to sleep," he orders.
I shake my head. "No, I can't do that. The others are out there and Korse could kill them," I ramble.
Frank stops puts his hand over my mouth. "No, it'll be okay. They're not going to get hurt. Just calm down, baby."
I pull his hand down. "Frank, please. You don't understand. He has killed them a thousand times in my head. I can't. I just-"
Instead of covering my mouth with his hand, Frank reaches up and kisses me. I freeze up a little shocked but after a moment, I let him kiss me. I step back and looks up at me in my eyes. "Gee, I know you're scared but it's going to be okay, trust me?"
"I trust you," I reply.
"Good, I would never break that trust. So listen to me. Go back to sleep, I'll keep you safe tonight and they will never take the light behind your eyes." He likes me back down and I sit in his arms going back to sleep. That was the best sleep I had since I found out Korse was alive.
Footsteps approach us. I sit up and Mikey and Addison jog over to us. "Guys, what's going on?" I ask groggily. Why are they running over when they left. "Where are the others?"
"They stayed back," Addison breathes.
Frank stirs and brushes his hair out of his face. "What do you mean they stayed back? Why?"
"There's something going up with the Unit and they needed us to get you guys and they needed to report it."
"What's going on?" Frank murmurs.
"We don't know but they're preparing for something," Mikey says.
"Let's go," I say and start heading to Kemia. Frank takes the passenger seat and the others get in the back.
Before I turn on the engine, the radio clipped on Frank's vest breaks through. It's Ray. "Go! Go back to the base!" I start the car and speed back to Zone 3. The patrols last night pushed us to the edge 16 so the Base isn't as far as it would normally be. Anxiety rises inside my and I push it to 240 mph. The others sit tensely as we rock through the terrain. A little over two hours, we make it to Zone 3