18

LIV.

Sofi's hair is completely covered in flour and there are at least seven cracked eggs spilled on the floor, but her face breaks into the biggest smile as soon as you walk into the kitchen.

"Surprise!" she yells out loudly.

You come to an abrupt halt, staring at the mess with wide eyes. "What are you doing?"

Sofi looks at you like it's the most obvious thing. "I'm making pancakes."

You stare at the kitchen counter. "What?"

"Pancakes!" Sofi grins and starts jumping up and down. "Because it's the first day of the new year and because you are friends with Lauren again - and also because I really, really, really wanted to eat pancakes for breakfast."

She turns around and starts to stir the mess in the gigantic bowl in front of her that you assume is a mixture of flour, eggs and milk.

"Sofi..." you say, as you start laughing. "You're - you're making pancakes?"

She smiles at you. "Come help me? We can surprise Lauren when she comes downstairs."

You run a hand through your hair, unable to stop yourself from smiling. "Sof, you little monkey. I love you." You walk over to her to take the mixer in your hands. "Here, I'll do this for a while, then you can clean up all those cracked eggs before mamá comes downstairs, yeah?"

You spend the next twenty minutes trying to save your sister's pancake recipe to the best of your abilities, while Sofi dances around you and sings top 40 songs off key and too loudly. Soon enough, the entire kitchen is smelling like pancakes and you can't help but laugh and pull on Sofi's arms as you make her dance around like a ballerina, while you wait until you can flip the pancakes around. She keeps holding up a spoon like a microphone right in your face until you finally give in and start singing along to whatever crazy pop tune your little sister is belting out.

"No one told me that One Direction was in town..."

You spin around.

Lauren is standing in the doorway to the kitchen, dressed in black shorts and one of your old field hockey jerseys from high school that is a little too small on her, giving you a nice glimpse of her toned stomach. Her hair is messy and she's leaning against the doorway, hand on her hip, soft expression on her face. You feel yourself blush right away.

"Lauren!" Sofi pulls away from you immediately and runs up to Lauren, hugging her close. Then, she makes a deep bow and squeals out, "Welcome to the Cabello Pancake Restaurant."

Lauren grins and lets Sofi pull her into the kitchen. "The Cabello Pancake Restaurant? You don't mean that famous five-star restaurant in Miami that's run by Sofia Cabello, do you?"

Sofi laughs. "Camila runs it now. I'm the sous-chef."

"Really?" Lauren turns and smiles teasingly at you. "I didn't know Camila had any other talents besides field hockey and knowing all the lyrics to the entire One Direction discography, apparently."

You don't waste a beat. "Please - you, of all people, know that I'm talented at a lot of things."

She blushes at the slight innuendo and there's an immediate flutter in your chest at the sight of her reddening cheeks. God - you love seeing her like this. You still quite can't believe how easy it is to make her flustered.

Then, Lauren walks up to you and gives you a quick hug, before muttering under her breath, so Sofi won't hear, "Really? Maybe you can show me later..."

You try not to smile, tugging on the fabric of her jersey and grinning as you look her up and down. "I really love your outfit choice today."

Lauren's smile only grows wider as she casually shrugs, "Something wrong with it? I could hardly come downstairs wearing what I went to bed in last night, now could I?"