20

LXIII.

"I have no idea what he wants to talk to me about, but Martin said to meet him in his office at five, so..."

You fall back on the couch. "Hm, ok - well, it's probably about your scholarship."

Lauren takes a nervous inhale on the other side of the line. "Yeah, I don't know... We'll see, I guess." She's silent for a moment, before mumbling, "I'm sorry I can't come pick you up at the airport, though."

You smile. "That's ok, Laur - I should probably drop off my stuff at my own place first, anyway."

Right as the words leave your mouth, you can picture the teasing smile making its way onto Lauren's face. "What - you think you're going to come over, or something?"

"No..." you mumble, biting you lip. "I just meant, in general, like, I have a lot of stuff and I'm taking that... home - of course."

You clear your throat.

"Right," Lauren says.

"Right..." you mumble.

She's silent for a beat, before adding, "I guess I shouldn't bother putting on my new lingerie then."

Fuck.

You bite your lip hard at the way her voice sounds more than a little suggestive. With a shaky exhale, you try to be confident when you reply, "Actually, I don't think you should bother putting on any clothes for the next couple of days - not while I'm around, anyway."

"Really?" Lauren says. "And why is that?"

"Because..." you reply, slowly. "I'd just take them right off of you again."

Lauren softly laughs. "And how exactly are you going to do that when you're not planning on coming over?"

Damn it, she always talks you right into a corner.

"Well-" you start. "Maybe - I'll just - I mean, I could always..." You sigh in frustration. "Fuck it, Laur - you win, ok? Can I come over?"

You can hear her smile. "Oh, Camz, you want to come over?" She takes a moment. "Hm... I actually already have a really hot date tonight-"

"Laur-"

"-I even bought new lingerie to wear for her. So, raincheck?"

You bite your lip. "I'm going to tie you to the damn bed if you keep teasing me like this."

At that, Lauren falls silent and you can't help but smirk, before adding playfully, "You're totally imagining that right now, aren't you?"

Lauren's voice is a little hoarse when she says, "N-no, I mean - I, um... I wasn't..." She coughs and your smile widens. "Anyway... I'll call you when I get back home from my meeting with Martin, yeah?"

You smile, "Ok, baby."

"Hm," Lauren says, "I love it when you call me that... I'll see you tonight, yeah?"

"I can't wait."

The way Lauren says "Me neither" makes your heart stutter a little bit.

Only a couple more hours...

LXIX.

You hug Ally as close to you as you can, dropping your bag on the floor of the airport arrivals hall to wrap your arms completely around your best friend.

"Hey," she smiles, pulling away from you. "Mila, how are you? You didn't really respond to any of my messages over Christmas so I thought maybe you needed some space, but-"