24

XCIV.

"... and then Susannah Jensen got angry with me and slammed her stick against my arm and broke my wrist."

"Same thing happened to me when I was eleven. Well, not Susannah Jensen, of course, but I got a broken wrist because someone slammed their stick against it. I couldn't play for six weeks."

"In sophomore year I strained my ankle so bad that I had to walk with crutches for two months."

"At my very first game I took a ball to the jaw and lost all my teeth."

You stare at Lauren in shock.

She shrugs from behind the steering wheel, before adding with half a grin, "Ok, maybe not all of them... There was blood everywhere, though. Dripping from my mouth guard. All over my jersey. Chris was watching from the sidelines and he couldn't stop puking."

You take a deep breath, trying to shake the image from your vision as you lean back into the passenger's seat. "Ok, well, how about this - you know that small scar on the inside of my hip?"

Lauren smirks. "Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty familiar with it."

You roll your eyes, fighting your smile and blush at the same time. "Shut up..."

Lauren's smile curls even wider. "You know, I'd say make me but that would be very cliché and very dangerous, so I guess I won't."

With a laugh, you sink even further into the passenger's seat, putting your legs up on the dashboard and shifting sideways so you can look at her. Lauren smiles at your movement and blows you a quick kiss that shoots straight to the center of your stomach. God. This girl.

"Do you want to know how I got it or not?"

"Let me guess," Lauren says. "Someone on the other team hit their hockey stick against your hip because you were getting too close to the goal."

You grin. "Nope, though that happened on multiple occasions as well."

Lauren's kinks her eyebrow up. "You weren't quick enough to dodge a ball coming your way?"

You shake your head with a grin. "Field hockey camp when I was fourteen. I was trying to impress Mia Anderson by climbing on top of the goal and then it collapsed right on top of me."

"What?"

You bite back your smile at the look on her face. "It was all good. She kissed me afterwards, so I guess it was worth it."

Lauren scoffs and rolls her eyes. "I thought we were talking field hockey related injuries, not making out with your teammates on top of a goal post."

"We didn't make out on top of the goal. We kissed in front of it." You laugh. "And she wasn't my teammate. She was on one of the opposing teams."

Lauren makes a sound. "Of course she was."

Her cheeks are slightly tinted red, and you grin at the way she's trying to shrug it off as unimportant. You can't help but feel your chest swell with something hot and lovely, as you mumble teasingly, "What, Laur? Does that make you jealous or something?"

"No." It's too quick, and she knows it. She bites her lip, keeping her eyes on the road. "Was she any good?"

You can't resist. "At kissing?"

Lauren groans. "At hockey, Camz."

"I beat her the next day with an 8-2 score and I told her goodbye with nothing more than a handshake."

At that, Lauren's mouth curls into a small, slightly proud smile, as she mumbles, "That's my girl."

The words curl right around the base of your spine. You lean towards her, smiling so hard that your cheeks hurt because of it. "I'm your girl?"