Adventure Begins

Bucky pov

The day had finally arrived.
Sam, Jamie, Steve, and I were going to be driving down to the coast for a few days.

Steve, being the planner that he is, had already packed a bag a week ago, but I haven't even started and we're leaving in an hour.

It was very typical of me to be last minute.

The blond was laying on my bed, watching me pack, and giving me suggestions on what to bring.

"Blue swim trunks or black?"

"I suggest you take both, considering that we're going a few days, Buck."

"Steve you're such a fucking meme. You gave my nickname a nickname."
He had called me Buck before but I'd never acknowledged the joke in it.

"What?"

"You turned Bucky into Buck."

"Oh, I guess I did." His blue eyes light up with a short laugh.

"Hey, since we're on the topic of names and such.. would it really be all that bad if I called you James?"

I folded up my t-shirts while I considered his question.
Because of my age, I should be over this. There will always be that nagging sensation when I hear it, but it will hopefully be diminished because my love is the one saying it.

"I mean.. I guess I don't mind when you do it. But, I wouldn't want Jamie picking up on it."

"I get it. I'm still going to call you Bucky, I just wanted to see if I could call you James as well."

He seemed content with my answer and the conversation as a whole, so I left it be.

I went into the bathroom to pack what else I needed.
After putting my tooth brush and other toiletries in my suit case, I zipped it up with satisfaction.

Steve smiled in delight and stood to kiss me.

He had been grinning all day and it's been really cute seeing him like this. A few days ago he'd had a terrible day.

I don't mean he woke up kind of arrogant, I mean he was severely depressed and couldn't even get out of bed.

Jamie had reported to me what was going on.
She was normally the one to comfort him, though this time she couldn't leave work, so I had to leave halfway through a Modern Europe lecture.
It was no big deal to me though, as I am ahead in that class.

Once I had arrived, it broke my heart to see him like that. He looked so small laying in the dark emotional cloud that surrounded him.

Steve's only verbal wish was for me to hold him.

I made sure he'd taken his needed medication before allowing him to fall asleep.

He'd woken up a little bit better mentally, but it was only a small achievement. It was hard to get him to eat; I only managed to get him to eat a sandwich.

His depression sometimes makes him lash out, which I understand.
A specific incident would be that same day.
He was feeling extremely insecure and he'd said some things that were upsetting, but I knew it was all just momentary.

Steve had said that he "wasn't worth my time" and that I would "find someone better, just like Ivan did" and I would "leave him, whether he knew or not."
Basically, my boyfriend was implying that I was cheating scum just like Ivan.

That had really fucking hurt.

In the next few days he was constantly apologizing, saying over and over how sorry he was and how much he regretted it and that he didn't think that low of me.