Chapter 13

The morning to come was definitely one of the better ones Echizen had if a while. He was still tired, given that he was up at ungodly hours but he felt like he could actual function properly. Ryuzaki must have said something to the scientists or whoever was in charge because the group had expected to wake up at the crack of dawn like normally but they were able to sleep in a bit which was nice on their part.

When the group was finally awakened and after they had breakfast, they were all sort of separated; Momo was taken by the horticulturists so he could help with the plants, Kaidou by the head security officer, Oishi by the head medical officer, Kawamura was fought over by squad leaders who were asking for demonstrations in hand-to-hand combat, Inui by scientists, and Fuji by the strategy leader. Tezuka, Ryoga, and Echizen were being escorted to a meeting from which left Kikumaru to fend for himself for the whole day, though after a few minutes of wandering around, he ran into a shy girl with long brown braids who looked about Echizen's age. Since he really had nothing else to do, he offered to help with whatever she had to do and soon he found himself helping her do laundry.

"Eeh? So you're Ryuzaki-sama's granddaughter." Kikumaru commented absentmindedly. "I guess it figures you would be here where it's safe, you'd probably be a prime target for enemies."

Sakuno nodded. "I've- seen more death than I would have ever liked to see. Grandma said this place would be safest but I could only stay if I worked." She stopped when the door opened and another girl filed in. "Ah, Nanako-san!"

"Nanako-?" That name. He had just heard that name from someone.

"Ah Sakuno-chan. You've found someone to give your chores to then?" Nanako joked with a smile to the red head.

"A-A- no no, nothing like that!"

"I'm only joking. Hello I'm Meino Nanako. You're part of the Seigaku Squad right? Thank you for taking care of my cousins." She bowed.

"Ah!" A lightbulb went off in his head. "You're Ochibi's and Ryoga-san's cousin!"

"You must be Kikumaru-san." She laughed at the confused look on his face. "I might have looked through everyone's files when I was younger but it's also from the description my cousins gave when you all arrived yesterday. They seem to enjoy your squad's company quite a bit. Please continue to look after them."

======

"What kind of soil are you using? Do you compost or have some sort of fertilizer mix?" Momo grabbed a handful of dirt and it seemed to be full of minerals and nutrients. "Or maybe something in between? I mean all in all this is cool but if you were to mix fertilizers in with the dirt instead of just spreading it on top then you'd get a more bountiful harvest."

"You can tell all of that by just a handful of dirt?" A scientist said. "I never knew you'd be able to figure all of that out with such little information, even if you have the gene for earth. It's astonishing."

"It's not that difficult to tell really." Momo was basking in the glory the others were giving him. "Also see how the leaves are bigger and greener over here compared to here? Here's not getting the same level of nutrients." He put his hand on the ground and mumbled something. All the plants in the greenhouse started to grow.

"As expected from an earth user." A person, about Momo's age commented. He had red-orange hair down to the nape of his neck, drooping violet eyes, and wore a white cap much like Echizen.

"And you are?"

"Me? My name's Choutarou Ootori. I'm a part of the Hyoutei squad and I thought my talents would be of help here."