Ch6: Just asking for a friend

"We're almost there, just a little further up the street," Tina breathed out, relieved that the journey was almost done for the day. Sage sent the woman a tight smile as the traffic of the city was making her antsy, as she assisted in dragging Jacob down the street, following closely behind Tina.

Ever since their little conversation about MACUSA, Sage had tried her best to keep her heart rate down as she was worried that it may trigger some of her shifting abilities if left unchecked. The worry and the many times Newt sent her a reassuring smile, was enough to make her heart race.

Sage could feel her canines slowly enlarging with her growing panic and inability to slow her heart rate, causing her to almost walk into the back of Tina when the witch pausedstopped outside an apartment building. Tina sent the woman a confused look before glancing at Newt's worried expression. "Okay, before we go in I'm just letting you know, I'm not suppose to have men on the premises."

"Funny. That's similar to what the Hogwart's headmaster said about the school dormitories but then allowed both genders into the male dormitories. The frickle frackle was gonna happen either way, regardless of which dorms were available." Sage chuckles, innocently staring at the trio's shocked expressions to distract herself from her ever growing canines.

Tina opened and closed her mouth several times as a dark blush paints her cheeks, unable to utter a response as Newt sighs, a light blush also staining his cheeks. "Therron, I-I don't think you should be talking about that stuff here —" " — is it making you uncomfortable, Scamander? Pity. I guess I should continue then, hm?" Sage asks in a playful tone.

Newt shakes his head unconvincingly as his blush dies down, focusing on Tina. "Ah, well in that case. Mr Kawolski and I can find other arrangements, and I'm sorry but Sage isn't to leave my side. I'm rather... attached to her. I guess we'll see you around." Tina, undeterred, grabs ahold of them and drags the trio into her apartment in a hurried fashion. "Oh, no you don't. Watch your step."

As soon as they enter, Sage's nose picks up on another scent and her eyes immediately scan the room until they fall on a witch with short blonde hair. When the witch's gaze fell on Sage, the shifter felt a presence trying to get in her head and immediately stone walled it.

The blonde parts her lips in surprise, not expecting the stranger to block her out so quickly. 'So, she's had practice,' Queenie muses as she flitters her gaze over the two men who had entered. "Oh, you brought men and a lady home, Tini." Sage felt sick under the eyes of what she assumed to be a legitimace, as she tried to control her breathing, hoping that she had blocked the blonde out before she could find out anything that could cause trouble for Sage.

"Gentlemen and Lady, this is my sister," Tina introduced, looking at her sister's attire, "wanna put something on, Queenie?"

"Sure." Queenie bit her tongue as she turns to slide on a dress, well aware of the varying levels of interest in gazes of the three newcomers. "So, who are they?" The curious blonde asked, knowing fully well she could get the information out of almost everyone in the room, but was patient enough to allow her sister to explain.

Tina continues mulling around the apartment as she introduces them with a wave of her hand. "This is Mr Scamander, whose committed a serious infraction of the Statue of Secrecy, along with his... for lack of a better word, travelling companion, Miss Therron."

This piqued Queenie's interest in more ways than one. "Oooh, they're criminals? And who's he?" Tina smiles as she introduces the last of the trio, "and that is Mr Kowolski, a no-maj. He's sick, it's a long story." Queenie nods as Tina peers at Newt, who's looking around the apartment curiously and Sage who seemed to be abnormally quiet. "Mr Scamander and Ms Therron have lost something and I'm going to help them find it."

Sage snaps out of her almost meditative state as she notices Jacob swaying and quickly steps forward and assists him in sit on the couch, as Queenie rushes over. "Oh sit down honey. The poor thing hasn't eaten anything all day." She coos, sending Sage a thankful expression before turning her attention back onto Jacob. "Oh, and he didn't get the money for his bakery. That's rough. You bake, honey?"

"You're a legitimace." Sage and Newt chorus.

Queenie giggles lightly as she nods. "Yeah, although I always have problems with your kind. Brits. It's the accent." She says before eyeing Sage curiously. "Although I got a peak of your accent, Australian I guess. Well, that was before you blocked me out."

Sage just dons a bitter smile as she ignores the looks being sent her way. "I'm not fond of strangers prying into my business, let alone my head. No offence." She responded, relieved from finally feeling control over her heart beat since they'd arrived. The change in emotion was minuscule but enough that Newt had realised that she would be okay, leaving him to flash her a subtle smile as Queenie and Jacob engaged in conversation.

A hand gentle was placed on the small of Sage's back and slowly moved her closer to the door, and the overwhelming scent of hay and earth made Sage keenly aware of who was directing her.  As the pair inched closer towards the door, Tina and Queenie set the table and begin cooking with magic.

They were almost home free but before Sage could even attempt to open the door, Newt's free hand reached around her towards the door knob. Sage involuntarily shivered as Newt's breath fanned the back of her neck, causing her to suck in a shark breath to avoid in hailing his scent. She watched as Newt's hand only just skimmed the door knob, but the sound of Queenie's voice made him freeze. "Hey, Mr Scamander, Ms Therron? Do you prefer pie or stroodle?"

Newt slowly retracts his hand from the door with a strained smile, "I- we, don't have a preference." He says, without sparing Sage a glance as she nods minutely, not trusting her voice as she became hypersensitive of where Newt's hand was resting on her back.

Queenie switched her gaze between the pair with a small smile. "Well, sit down Mr Scamander and Ms Therron, come sit. I'm not going to poison you."

Sage, unable to help herself, awkwardly chuckled, 'if you knew what I was, I have no doubt you would.' But instead of voicing that thought, another came to mind,

"Queenie, what are your thoughts on male prostitutes? I mean, surely there's a market for that kind of thing over here isn't there? ... I'm just asking, for a friend of course."

A/N: Not edited.