7.5 Decision

Naya's P.O.V.

A month flew by within a blink of an eye.

I wished Ocean and I made some progress in our relationship. No matter how small it was but that wasn't the case. Some days I felt that he was avoiding me, he'd come home to find me asleep on the sofa and carry me up to my bed. Some nights he'd be early and we'll have dinner together. But lately he's been gone a lot.

However, that wasn't my primary concern. My hallucinations were getting worse.

Sometimes I was seeing things twice or three times a day. I was able to speak to my mother about it. No way in hell I was going to tell her it was happening to me but we spoke for over an hour about mental illness.

She made me laugh when she hesitantly asked me if there was a problem with Ocean. It was me who had the problem but I shied away from the truth. Natural wolves were vulnerable to any kind of diseases just like humans. Supernatural creatures like us and others didn't fit into the natural category therefore we were immune to regular diseases. Mental illness however wasn't well documented among our ancestors so unfortunately she couldn't tell me much about it.

However, I told Macey about what was happening to me. We spent too much time together for her not to notice. At first she acted like nothing happened but after a couple of consecutive days she was deeply concerned. Finally, she asked two weeks ago. Explaining to her what I saw, presided as a challenging experienced.

But the worst one ever occurred one afternoon with Joshua there to witness it.

Rocky mountain surrounded us with yellow and green grass beneath our feet. I felt parched. Someone was holding my hand. Turning, I found Ocean looking at me with haunted eyes, chapped lips and blistered skin. His voice wasn't broken when he spoke.

"Naiya, we must rest." His voice was rich and dry. He pointed towards the shade created by the mountain. "Wait until nightfall. We can change and run and they won't be able to follow us." He spoke in a different language but I understood it perfectly.

"Orion, we must drink. I don't know for how long we'd be able to go on." I spoke his language, it rolled out of my tongue. I leaned into him feeling scared and exhausted. My limbs were ready to give out.

We sat down with our backs against the giant stony rock. He was clothed in garment that wrapped around our body. I had a long one piece covering me from neck down to toe. The view before us stretched out into vast expanse of land. Some were bone dry and some were working fields with donkeys. We were on higher ground because it gave us an advantage to spot any hunters.

We had no water or food but the rest helped us. It's been months since we've been on the run. Living off waste foods and water left out of animals. The thought brought tears to my eyes. I rested my head against his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry." He choked out. It wasn't his fault and neither was it mine. Wiping the tears away from my face I stood with a new-found determination from the spirits. I dragged him up with me.

An arrow went straight through my abdomen. I tried to push him away but he shielded me with his body. Another tore through him and dug itself into me. He jerked with every hit. Tears fell from his eyes and my heart burned but not from the silver in my body.

He held me in his arms, took the hit when we fell to the ground. Our senses deteriorated from the lack food and water. Even though the hunters were far away we should have been able to pick it up.

He took the brunt of the fall when our bodies collided with the ground. He still took care of me, even in death. Blood poured out of his mouth, tears slid over the bridge of his nose.