12. Darkness

Naya's P.O.V.

Ocean didn't waste a second before jumping into action. Within less than twenty minutes I was being admitted to the clinic again. Their equipment was modern but not fitted to treat a... Human. Sadness consumed my heart.

Adeya had a green shawl around her pyjamas when she greeted me at the door of the clinic. I felt guilty for waking her up but I didn't have much energy to apologise to her, especially with the mask around my mouth and nose.

Blood spurted out every now and then. An IV bag was attached to the needle that was poking out of my arm. Everything around me seemed to move slower than its usual pace.

 Bright lights and noise amplified the pounding in my head and all I wanted was Ocean, I wanted to apologise to him. I tried to move but failed miserably.

The Darkling was trying to punish Ocean by killing me. He wanted him to suffer like He was for centuries without his mate. I could understand why. I would want the revenge for my mates death too but not like him. 

He was a Psychopath with powers, just like all the other hybrids that were killed in the first century. Ocean needed to figure it out in this life why he didn't die. What made him immortal. Fae would live for a life time but I didn't see any wings on my attacker.

My mother labelled him as a Delusional Psychopath who found pleasure in torture. That's what hybrids where. They felt no emotions or sympathy towards anyone, hence his love for whoever this girl was, didn't make sense. Granted she was a hybrid and they might have had many things in common but where they -really- capable of love?

I patiently waited for him to stop arguing with Adeya and enter my room. I could see them through the foggy haze but wasn't able to hear them. Tears slid down my temples leaving wet trails. I couldn't hold on for much longer and I knew it was time.

I used all the strength I could muster to make any form of commotion to get their attention. I pulled at the wires that were attached to my heart monitor and when it beeping noise became a constant buzz they both ran into the room with fear in their eyes.

I swallowed dry air and it scraped down my throat. Adeya physically sagged against the wall in relief whereas Ocean tried to hastily reattach them to my chest. My weak hand wrapped around his wrist, willing him to stop to look at me. 

His bottom jaw twitched, eyes roamed around relentlessly. I struggled to take the mask off my face so I could speak to him without a barrier.

"I need you to listen to me." It hurt to breathe without the oxygen mask. "You need to figure out a way to..." He put the mask back on when I struggled to suck in any air. Instead he came closer, resting his hand next to mine.

"I'm right here, I'm not going anywhere." He sounded devastated but I had to get through to him.

"Listen... I need you to... figure out his weakness..." I coughed when my throat itched. "...in this life."

"Shh, don't worry, I'll figure everything out. You just think about getting better okay?" Tears streamed down the sides of my face while a sad smile touched my lips. He knew deep down what was happening to me but wasn't willing to accept it.

He was in denial.

"We've been concentrating in The Darkling... I think it's time... to figure out... who the girl was." The girl wasn't his mate. Mates were given to us after the war began. The war between humans and supernatural.

Puzzled, looked at me. "Find out who she is, so we can... be together in the... next life." I inhaled loudly every time I had to pause.

"NO, you're going to be fine. I've lost you too many times... I can't go through it again..." He looked like he was on the verge of a break down. His body quivered, eyes glistening under the bright lights and the hands that wrapped around mine, shook vigorously.

I tried to touch his face with my other hand but the wires were blocking my way. I didn't want to die but I knew there was no way for me to recover from this.

"Listen... we'll see each other soon okay..." I smiled trying to comfort him. I lifted out intertwined hands and brought it close to my check. His touch soothed me and I found comfort in his heat.

"You can't die Naya... It should be me..." His lips quivered, vibrating his baritone voice when he spoke.

"Promise me you'll come for me... Promise me that..." My eyes drooped no matter how hard I tried to keep them open. Darkness appeared at the corners of my eyes, closing in on the centre.

"I promise, I'll be better. Please don't give yet. Just hold on for a bit longer, I'm begging you." Alpha's didn't beg, not even for their own life. A sob left my lips. I wished we had more time. I wished we didn't waste all those weeks avoiding each other.

"Listen... Don't lose yourself... I'll be there, waiting for you..." I gulped, finally moving the mask away. "Take care of yourself. You're an... Alpha... Please check up on my... parents now and then..."

"No..." He didn't want to hear it. My sweet broken mate.

"Macey... She'll need Aaron... and Josh... give the kid some guidance. Tell everyone... I'm sorry..." He kissed me, hard, making my mouth sting but I didn't care. I opened up to him, trying to absorbs as much essence of him I could. I tried to roll towards him but I couldn't feel anything.

Fear scratched its claws down my spine. I broke apart abruptly.

"Ocean... I can't feel my... legs." Terror etched across his face. He shouted for Adeya with his scarred voice, hands reaching for my legs. My tired eyes acknowledged his hands on them but I physically felt nothing. Hysteria bubbled up from deep within me.

"Ocean... Ocean..." I sobbed. Adeya started checking on my legs but I didn't notice it at all. "Ocean... I'm so scared."

"I know baby, I know... Just breathe." He put my mask back no, wiping away my tears.

Time sped up and everything was moving in a very fast pace. The darkness started to close in, I just didn't have the energy to fight it anymore. Holding on to his hand I pulled him closer even though he was order the staff to make it stop.

Stop death from claiming me. It wasn't his fault though. Death was our destiny and it was time to break the curse. My eyes remained glued to him when my final breath wheezed out into the oxygen mask.

Darkness consumed me.