Psy/305 Exploring Psychology Careers

Exploring Psychology Careers

Samantha Craig

PSY/305

12/21/2014

Kelli Gray-Smith

What are some benefits to Majoring in Psychology? This is a very common question that is asked by many students who are interested in the field but want to be reassured that it is the one for them. One of the biggest benefits is that all the information learned in all the courses can be used in everyday by "teaching them how people, including themselves, learn." ("Careers In Psychology", 2014). Second would be the career opportunities that are available. Many at first only believe that there is not a lot of jobs that will take them, but this is not true. Psychology comes in handy and with so many subfields to choose from and to educate oneself in the doors are constantly swinging open. Psychology is a rising field and there is always an organization looking for someone to hire. Third would be the fact that it provides the individual with lifelong tools such as communication skills. These come in handy when meeting new people, interviewing for a job, and communicating with clients.

Once an individual is sure that majoring in Psychology is for them they need to start looking at areas of specialization in psychology. "The American Psychological Association recognizes four specialties: clinical, counseling, school, and industrial/organizational psychology." (Landrum & Davis, 2014, Chapter 2, Areas of Specialization within Psychology). Two of the most popular are clinical and counseling psychology. Similarities can be found in many of the specialties along with subfields. Clinical and Counseling both focus on helping clients with problems that they might be facing everyday such as behaviors. Just as there are similarities, there are differences. Clinical "assess and treat mental, emotional and behavioral disorders" ("Careers in Psychology", 2014) and works with clients who range from different ages, and underlining issues such as phobias. They also make time to focus on specific population in which clients need help with such as coming out to family members and being accepted by the community. A career that some can find rewarding would be becoming a mobile Therapist. Counseling, "help people recognize their strengths." ("Careers in Psychology", 2014) They work with families, organizations and even individuals of all ages by helping them understand their problems and how to work through them. A career in this field could be Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) worker. Counseling believe that behaviors are affected by the individual's environment and personal beliefs. While clinical believe it can be affected by psychological causes.

When a specialty in psychology is decided it is time to look at the career choices that are available. As stated previously for clinical psychology a choice might be a mobile therapist, and for counseling psychology a choice could be therapeutic staff support. A Mobile Therapist are a home based therapy that is assigned clients through caseloads and are responsible for meeting the needs of the individual and working with their immediate family on addressing those needs through sessions. Training that is required would be a "person with a graduate mental health degree in Psychology, Social Work, Counseling and at least one year of experience in either a CASSP service system or employed by a licensed mental health services agency or subcontracted agency." (Family Behavioral Resources, 2014) The average salary for an individual who chooses this career is around $59,000 a year. Next is one of the many career options that can be available to those who choose counseling psychology, which is to be a Therapeutic Staff Support (TSS) worker. A TSS worker is assigned to an individual that ranges between three to twenty-one, and are prescribed medically. They need to have a required training of "Bachelor's Degree in psychology, social work, counseling, sociology, education, or related field." (NHS, 2014) If this is the career choice for you than the average salary for an individual would be around $48,000 a year.

In conclusion, there are many benefits that come with majoring in psychology such as Educational, Career and life time skill opportunities. When it comes to psychology there are different fields. Two popular fields would be Clinical Psychology and Counseling Psychology who have a few similarities such as wanting to help clients with their problems. Along with having differences on how they believe what affects and causes these problems whether it be mentally or environmental. Each field has many different career choices. When it comes to choosing the career that works for you it is important to look at the requirements and salary available.

References

Careers in Psychology. (2014). Retrieved from

Landrum, E. R., & Davis, S. F. (2014). The Psychology Major: Career Options and Strategies for Success (5th ed.). Retrieved from The University of Phoenix eBook.

Family Behavioral Resources. (2014). Retrieved from

Indeed. (2014). Retrieved from

Human Services Career Center. (2014). Retrieved from

Indeed. (2014). Retrieved from http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Therapeutic-Staff-Support-l-Pennsylvania.html