Hsm/270 Scenario Evaluation Plan

Scenario Evaluation Plan

Samantha Craig

HSM/270

11/1/2014

PEACE Domestic Violence Agency is based in the city of Portland has seen an increase of reports within the Domestic, Spousal and even Child abuse and assault that can be unrecognizable to those who are not aware of the signs. The purpose of this agency is to help promote a sense of empowerment, security and support for the families who have been effected by domestic abuse. The PEACE Agency wants to assess their own performances and evaluate the effects of the services that are provided to their client's lives. The purpose of this evaluation plan is to evaluate how the program is being run, what improvements would need to take place to make the agency better and what is the outcome of those who enter and leave the program.

The Evaluation plan that the PEACE Domestic Violence Agency will be using is the Project-Wide Evaluation with the process and outcome evaluations involved within the Empowerment Approach. This form of an evaluation is great for the agency's program because it provides structure for the program further down the road and focuses on the purpose that was designed for the program itself. The Empowerment Approach is usually conducted by the staff that will work within this program. This will help the staff members butter understand what areas will need more of the primary focus and better understand the outcome of the program. This approach also empowers the staff members involved with this program to make sure they cover all the basis needed and are more likely to pay attention to the results of everything that happens.

Now that we have chosen the approach to the plan it is time to look into the evaluation plan itself. PEACE chose to do the Project-wide evaluation due to the fact that it "looks at the broad goals of the project, an evaluation plan format that provides a big picture." (Yuen & Terao, 2003) The first step of this evaluation is to identify the major questions and the answers to them. The biggest one would be can the program help reduce the number of incidents of domestic violence and if so how? The second question is would educating others within the community on domestic violence help prevent any more rise from happening. In order to get the answers needed the staff has to go find the sources. This can be the number of reports given on domestic violence and which of those are repeat offenders, and results on knowledge among the community of this problem.

Once the questions and sources are gathered it is time to move on to the Process evaluation part of the plan. "The project staff and members will collect activity logs, agendas, minutes, reports, and other documents as the basis for reports." (Yuen & Terao, 2003) In this instance it can also be known as the methods part of the program. The documents that this can refer to would be results of those who enter and leave the program to track their progress. Surveys within the community to grasp what their knowledge of domestic abuse is and reports from the court house, emergency calls and police reports that show the number of abuse calls and compare them by locations. This also helps by looking at the program as a whole and it evaluates all of the important documents.

Next would be working on the outcome evaluation. To do this it is important to meet up with the community and those clients who have left to program and preform a survey. Each of these surveys would be different in large part because the community's would be more based on whether or not they have a better knowledge of what abuse is and what to do if they suspect it is going on. The client's survey would be assessed on how they felt the program met their needs and how they are dealing now without the program. After that they will gather current up to date documents just like the ones during the process evaluation and compare them to the documents that were gathered at the beginning of the program. This will then tell us if there was indeed a decrease of domestic violence in the city of Portland and whether or not educating the community was helpful or not.

In conclusion, for the PEACE Domestic Violence Agency is using the Project-wide evaluation along with the process and outcome evaluations for the Empowerment approach. The agency chose this approach because it empowers the staff members to become more involved with the program evaluations and to make judgments on what they felt bettered the program, community and the clients that entered. All this is to hopefully meet the end result of having a reduced amount of reported domestic violence reports within the city of Portland.

References

Yuen & Terao. (2003). Practical grant writing and program evaluation. Retrieved from the University Of Phoenix eBook Collection

Appendix B