Psy/400 Conflict Resolution and Peacemaking Pape

Conflict Resolution and Peacemaking Paper

Samantha Craig

Psy/400

Sherri Sedler

10/1/2015

Introduction

Peace can be defined along the perimeters of not having conflict or chaos. Peacemaking is the process that takes place to end the violence between the parties involved. Humans have what is called free will. Therefore, it can be difficult for individuals to find a resolution in resolving the conflicts around them. A conflict is "perceived incompatibility of actions or goals."(Myers, 2010) A many conflict face is the one of religion due to lack of respect for others beliefs or even just the lack of knowledge about certain religions. The article about NonGovernmental Organizations (NGOS) and how they are working hard to resolve the conflict of religions through peacemaking. Along with discussing what peacemaking is and what the steps are in resolving conflicts.

Peacemaking

Peace is more than just simply suppressing the conflicts that arise. It is about managing the conflict to where "the parties reconciling their perceived differences and reaching a genuine accord."(Myers, 2010) This means that when there is peace among the groups involved that there is a balance of harmony and lower levels of violence than there was before. Conflicts usually happen because there is a lack of communication or a misunderstanding. Peacemaking clears the air and allows the opposing groups a time to regroup and work together to find out what they can do to fix it.

The Article

In this particular article the discussion is based on the subject of religion and cultures. It shines the light on NGOS, also known as NonGovernmental Organizations, and how they have made it a goal to bring peace to communities that hold various people of faith and cultures along with countries. It states "that women, as peace researchers, generally take a holistic approach to peace - based on the assumption that real peace requires the elimination of all forms of oppression and discrimination."(Zutshi, 2006) The article also covers how the NGOS has eight areas in which they take to action towards peace initiatives. These areas are known as Culture of Peace Through Education, Sustainable Economics, Respect for all human rights, Equality between women and men, Democratic Participation, Understanding tolerance, Participatory communication, and Internal Peace and Security.

The Peacemaking 4 C's

When it comes to peacemaking, there are four key ingredients that are referred to as the four C's. These are known as Contact, cooperation, communication, and conciliation. Contact is the first key, and it means that usually the more the opposing groups see each other and have some contact with each other than they might come to some terms with each other. The NGOS uses this first step and makes contact with the groups and then has them meet several times to have discussions and start seeing to eye and eye. The second stage is called cooperation. Contact can help but can end up make tensions high so if cooperation is added into the mix, and they have to work together or come to agreeing on terms together then it should strengthen the bond. NGOS gets rid of the power and has them participate as a group of individuals not based on religion, or culture that way it is a clean slate to work with. The third key is communication. When there are conflicting groups having an "arbitrator can help resolve the issue, by submitting disagreements, to someone who can issues and impose a settlement." (Myers, 2010) This is covered in the article and shows that they have a free talk about information that prevents each party having secrecy. The last one is called conciliation, and when tensions get high, this comes in handy. NGOS is made to help communities and countries not fight and discriminate against Religion and culture therefor they use what tools they can and one is having "the initiator states its desire to reduce tension, declares each conciliatory act before making it, and invites the adversary to reciprocate."(Myers, 2010)

Conclusion

In conclusion when it comes to conflict resolution and peacemaking it is not a very easy task. There is usually twice the amount of work going into it because there is usually one or more groups or individuals conflicting. NGOS is an organization that is based on solving conflicts and using the four key features of peacemaking. These features are contact, cooperation, communication and conciliation also known as the four C's. However, with hard work and dedication from all parties peace can happen.

References

Zutshi, B. (2006). ROLE OF NGOS IN PEACE MAKING AND CONFLICT RESOLUTION. Himalayan and Central Asian Studies, 10(1), 41-0_4. Retrieved from

Myers, D. G. (2010). Social psychology (10th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill.