Soc/337 Latino Identity Lecture

Latino Identity Lecture

Samantha Craig

Soc/337

12/3/2016

What is your ethnicity? This is a typical question asked by many and most answer this by stating White, Black, Native American or Hispanic. According to Meriam-Webster (2016) Ethnicity is "of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background." This paper will not only address the challenges that can arise due to defining Latino Identity but also how grouping Latinos based on common traits can be problematic. It will also discuss the merits of the Latino Identity by terms of historical events and relations. Lastly it will bring to lights some proposed favors as an alternative for that ethnic identity.

Why grouping can be problematic

There is never a great outcome of percentages when it comes to those who try to group individuals or cultures together, for example if a person was identified as Hispanic or Latino it group them with other individuals of that ethnicity. This then creates a problem because those who answer this all come from different countries, regions, and cultural backgrounds that might not intertwine with the person next to them. The first problem is that there are two different identities in the Latino population that are referred to as the general identity and the particular ones. (Garcia, 2008) This is because when it comes the Latinos they all have different cultural backgrounds and many may have different heritages such as a parent being Cuban while the other being Spanish. Which then leads to the second problem whereas the social identities are so complex that it goes beyond how the person views themselves or even the family as a whole. It is more based on the communities and those who live there.

Historical events & Relations merits

History has always played a huge part when it comes to culture, this is also the same with the Latino population. The value one places on historical identity coves not only the similarities of the whole population of the Latino community but also the differences. When it comes to a historic connection to the Latino world derives from their family and the origins. This is because while the individual maybe labeled as Latino that it doesn't place them on whether they are from Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico and other countries. (Maldonado-Torres, 2009) stated "He believes that even though Latinos do not have an essence, they nevertheless do have an identity, and that this is grounded in historically generated family relations." Therefor just as it is important to have an ethic identity it is the same to have knowledge of the historical values of others cultures.

Developmental Arguments in favor of ethnic name

When it comes to ethnic names or identity many people are unaware of their importance. The ethnic name of Latino is primarily used to describe a person's point of origin or their families despite their current location because it is there to indicate their heritage. When a person describes themselves as Mexican-American, it lets others know that not only do they have ties the American culture but also to Mexican ones as well. Another advantage to having ethnical names such as Latino is so that you don't offend someone because you are unaware of their complete back grounds. The Latino name covers a wide range of people with similar backgrounds and it keeps them from classifying someone in the wrong group or name.

Conclusion

In conclusion, it is extremely important to understand the challenges that can arrive by the definition of the Latino Identity. It can greatly open someone's eyes from other cultures that are part of the Latino community all by understanding that person's heritage and their culture. History makes up a lot of fibers that build on ones characteristics and gives them knowledge on who they are and a background that they can share with others around them. A name or ethnic identity is just a name, which is there to bring others together with a sense of community. It doesn't make that person less like themselves.

References

Gracia, J.J.(2008). Latinos in America, Philosophy and Social Identity. Malden: Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

Maldonado-torees, N. (2009). Latinos in america: Philosophy and social identity. Latino Studies,7(2), 284-286. Doi:hhtp://dx.doi.org/10.1057/1st.2009.8

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ethnicity