30 Days Of Shame | Prologue

I stare at the dress hanging on the back of my closet door. The size of the beautiful fabric taunts me. I've desperately been trying my very hardest for months to slim down and fit into the dress. At this point I've only lost four pounds in total and I don't know what I can do now. Homecoming is only a few weeks away and my only goal for the longest time has been to be able to fit into the size 6 dress. I take a breath and walk over to my full body mirror. I pull and tug at my shirt trying to find an appealing position that makes me look a little slimmer. I suck my belly in and turn to the side. I know I look completely insane trying to suck my stomach in. I rub my hands over my size 16 hips just imagining how beautiful I would look if I we're a size 4. I imagine having a slim waist and a little bit of curves but defiantly not to much.

"Zoey! get in here now." I hear my mother call for me, the sound of her venomous voice causes shivers up and down my spin. I've done my chores and all my homework so I'm not sure what she is yelling about. I quickly fix my shirt and head into her office.

"Yes ma'am." I say as I straighten up my posture looking her direction, she finishes the sentence she was typing on her computer before she turns around in her rolling chair facing me. I keep my posture straight and my eyes forward as I wait for her to speak. She pushes her perfectly pressed and trimmed hair to the back and sighs.

"I just got a call from your film teacher." My mother speaks and my heart literally drops to the pit of my stomach. I don't speak I just wait for her to scold me.

"He tells me that you haven't been in his class for two weeks now. "My mom says her voice coming out calmly as she looks at me her eyes piercing into mine. I want to look away but I know if I do so I'll be in more trouble. I still stay quiet, there is nothing I can say because he was telling the truth. I've been skip Mr. Kelley's class every single day. I despise the class so much because I am tormented by the students in there. I sit in the front of the class because I can't see in the back and I like to be able to really get into the class lessons because I enjoy learning about cinema and film, but lately I've been getting harassed by a group of kids who are in the class with me. I'm a sophomore and its a senior class so I'm basically be bothered by kids older than me. I'm used to being teased in a lot of my classes but I must say my fifth period film class is by far the worst. When the teacher isn't looking they throw paper balls at the back of my head, make cow sounds at me and call me all kind of absurd things. The most frequent and obvious name they call me is fat. They pick on my overly large glasses and bushy brows as well but mostly my weight. I remember one of the boys throwing loose candy on the ground next to me, making jokes about how I was gonna going to eat it off the floor after class.

"Do you have anything to say? "My mother asked me as she stands from her chair. I take a small step back as my tall and slender mother hovers over me.

"I'm.. I didn't think it was a big deal because it's only an elective." I cautioned. My mothers steps dangerously close to me causing a knot to grow in my stomach.

"Just an elective? So you think just because it's an elective class that you can skip it? Are you trying to fail are you trying to embarrass me." she scolds.

"No mother I-"

"I am not done speaking do not interrupt me." She booms her thick accent ringing through my ears as she pushes her sharp finger nail into my shoulder sending out a piercing pain. "I will not tolerate you skipping class and acting as if you're some delinquent." Her deep brown eyes pierce into mine, causing my stomach to turn and my eye brow to flinch.

"Mom, the students in those class.. there so mean and I jus-"

"You are skipping class because of a few mean children? What are they doing calling you fat!" She badgers looking at me as if I am some stupid little girl. Her cold eyes don't leave mine.