one

Twigs and dried leaves crunched under his heavy boot as he made his way through the forest

Twigs and dried leaves crunched under his heavy boot as he made his way through the forest. He could hear animals running about and a river flowing in the distance, but ignored them as he continued on his journey.

Stefan needed to clear his head. Everything that had happened in the past few months had finally caught up to him and he felt like screaming. Usually, he would've just sat at his desk and written in his journal, but Damon and Elena could be heard throughout the whole house, and so he was forced to find some place else.

After walking around for a while, Stefan finally found a large flat rock to sit on, and after almost an hour his writing was interrupted by the birds in nearby trees flying away loudly. Twigs snapped under a pair of feet, much like they had with him earlier.

"What do you mean he's in Paris?" A girl's voice questioned in annoyance. "You mean to tell me that I left LA for this dump and he didn't even know I was there?"

There was a silence in the air as the footsteps grew louder. Stefan could see a blonde figure a few feet in front of him, a cellphone pressed against her ear and a frown on her lips. The girl quickly bid the person on the other end goodbye and hung up when she spotted Stefan staring at her.

"How much of that did you hear?" She asked, shoving the phone into her pocket and tucking some of her blonde tresses behind her ear.

"Just the, uh, end."

"Good. Sorry, I didn't think anyone else would be out here," the girl, who couldn't be much older than 19, looked around at the greenery surrounding them.

"You're not the only one," Stefan let out a light chuckle. "Is everything okay? From what I heard things sounded tense."

"Everything is fine," she waved off, a smile on her pink lips.

Stefan closed his journal and stood up from his seat on the rock.

"I guess I'll see you around," he spoke casually as he began to walk in the direction he originally came from.

"Maybe," the blonde mumbled to herself, also turning to the way she came.

Stefan silently walked back to the boarding house, his mind trailing back to the girl he had met a few minutes before.

It was odd, she didn't look like the kind of girl who wandered around the woods, but at the same time it was as if she had grown up in them.